Buying Used Speakers

Want to get the group's thoughts on buying used speakers.  The value proposition in many cases is compelling.  However, there is a pretty good element of risk as well, even from reputable Audiogon sellers.  What exactly does, "completely tested mean?"  Or "performs flawlessly?"  You don't in most cases get a warranty for starters and you're at the complete mercy of the adds and pics.  Some of the sellers are broker dealers (with stellar reputations), so do they even know how they were treated?  Prob not.   Let's face it - the vast majority of condition ratings are based on the cosmetics IMHO.  

Has anybody bought expensive speakers on AG or elsewhere?  What questions did you ask the seller to help ensure they're as sonically good as cosmetically?  Did you test them yourselves once you received them?  Any good lessons learned would be much appreciated as well.  I know for starters to get a complete  description of how they're going to ship them.  Thanks in advance!   

cubbiesman

@elliot.

I would not buy used toilet paper from the Russkies.  You can't be serious.  

@carlsbad2 1+    I buy 2 year old lease return Volvos and do not expect perfection.  The lack of perfection perfectly fits my bank account.

I purchased my last few pairs of speakers new but have bought a number of speakers used over the years.   Paradigm Studio 100,  Klipsch CF 4 , KEF Ref 3, B&W cdm 1nt, Sonus Faber  Concertino...   All of them had one thing in common, I could not afford them when new.   

I purchased a pair of Klipsch Heresy II for my brother  a little while back. Time capsule for $500.   Some great speaker deals out there. Even better if they are big and hard to move!!!  

I prefer to buy speakers locally for the obvious reasons, confirming they work and avoiding shipping .

I have dealt with TMR on several occasions and they are good to deal with. 

In my 3 years getting back into this hobby I have purchased 3 pairs of used speakers without listening to them prior. I did spend many hours doing research reading reviews, forums, magazines and word of mouth. Fritz Rev 5 SE, Goldenear Triton 2 and Ohm Walsh Tall 2000 all on Audiogon from sellers with good reviews. Why used? All of my speakers were below 50%+ off msrp, less than 5 years old, stated in very good condition. If I didn’t like them or didn’t stick with the hobby (unlikely) I could resell them without much financial loss. You do have to be risk adverse and accepting of some imperfections and in some cases do some minor fixes/ mods. My Goldenear Triton’s had one of its built in subwoofer amps stop working. Goldenear has superb customer service and swapped my amp out. I had to do the install but took an easy 10 minutes. My Ohm’s arrived with veneer peeling back at the seams and black paint wearing through exposing high wood grain. Glue, clamps and some dye and they look great. Fritz were mint. Love all 3 and none had driver or cabinet issues and sound excellent. But it is a risk you have to be comfortable with.