Bose 901 Series 3 Fair Price

Over the years as my finances improved I have upgraded my system in increments. Being a sort of pack rat I have hung onto much of the older equipment even though I don't use it anymore. Am now in a pinch to get rid of most of it due to the space it takes up in my recently downsized living area.

Several years I bought a pair of used Bose 901 series 3 speakers. The EQ made for them and the metal tulip-shaped stands were also included.The foam surrounds were totally deteriorated. I purchase a kit to replace them with a fabric type surround and not foam. Took my time since that do it yourself task takes quite a while.

After repair I initially ran the speakers without the Bose EQ and then with a very good 10 band EQ. Both setups sounded horrible. Then I hooked up the Bose EQ and the speakers actually sounded quite decent. Seems those speakers won't perform well without the dedicated EQ.

So....after the surround replacement I played them for only about 100 hours then retired them in favor for higher end speakers. The cabinets are a wood/walnut finish and are cosmetically perfect as are the grills. Researching prices for this model speakers, EQ, and stands the prices are all over the place. Shipping charge to a non local area probably wouldn't be cheap due to weight. The price range I have seen is from $150 to $700. Quite a range.

There are many people who prefer the Bose sound and I guess those would most likely purchase them.
Any opinions out there as to what would be a fair asking price? I'm not looking to make a profit but they are just too good to give away.

jrpnde
i've read many comments on audiogon forum that the 901's are not good speakers. maybe when they came out in 1968 they were interesting. as far as what you think you might sell them for, good luck. you can go on ebay and see what price most people are asking for. for the 'eq' that is part of the speaker system so you should use the right one. good luck.
The 901's were good for their time, but I think there are other speakers that are superior in terms of sound reproduction. And, yes, I did lust to own them-then I found Vandersteen.
If you really like the 901's, go for it. I would look on Ebay or Hifishark for a relevant price.
GB