Borreson X2

Has anyone heard the Borresen X2? I have read reviews on the X3 which seem quite favorable for the money. However, there isn’t much feedback on the X2 (smaller sibling). Does anyone here own the X2, or has anyone heard them at their local dealer?  I’ve seen a few videos and reviews that mention the X series may lack soundstage depth. Curious what others think of this speaker. Thank you in advance for any input on this speaker.  

rick_hilton

Here is a nice video which showcases the X2 with a follow up comparing it with the X3.  It's in Korean but with english subtitles.  

I've ordered the X2s which works best for my limited space in my dedicated listening room.

The thing you must keep in mind with the Borresen woofers is their radiating surface area is a true 4.5” inches, only about 1.75” smaller diameter than the surface area of most brands’ “8 inch” cones. As such, these “4.5” drivers look more like a typical 6” driver in person. The X3 has a good bit more bass cone surface area than an industry-standard 8” woofer, and the X2 has approximately the same amount as an 8” woofer. Gotta love math, lol! 

They are great speakers.  They will perform well on the condition that they work in your room.  Borreson designs great speakers but is a bit of a purist and they have minimums that need to be met for the image to come to life.  This was always the case with Raidho too. 

Depending on the speaker, you will need min 9' between (as they go up in size width is greater) and you need typically 3' to 5' behind the speakers.  If you don't have this, my experience is the speakers can be a bit underwhelming.  

If you have a room that is open and you can get them out and give them some space, they will be extraordinary

I considered a pair of X2 and still might.  I have heard them sound very good and also very bad.  

I believe the issues I heard when they sounded bad could be sorted by speaker placement and amplifier.  

I have a X6

Pros: super resolving, clarity, quickness, dynamics, bang 4 buck

Cons (relative, compared to a couple of other speakers in a similar price bracket):

Instruments sound more like instruments on my Yamaha (NS5000). It doesn’t image as well as my TAD....Very finicky with placement and sub integration, both of which are easy as pie on the TAD.

Other: I wouldn’t pair it with AGDenmark amps. Other brute A/AB amps seem to sound better with Borresen speakers (my ears/opinion).