Borresen X3

Hello,

For those who have had the opportunity to hear and or own the X3 I am very interested in your impressions/opinions. 

Thank you.

Ag insider logo xs@2xletitbe1306

I’m a little confused after reading this post as I thought you own the X6 model. I’m assuming you wrote this post before you got your X6s? The X6 are too big for my room, and I was researching X3’s. Just curious, did the X6 made you change your mind about Borresen?

P.S. This is a genuine question and not an attempt at sarcasm or trying to make you look bad.

@arafiq , Yes, that comment was from before i bought/lived with a X6. I had heard the high end Borresens prior to that. I’ll still stand by the statement that the higher end Borresens (M series, etc) are a bit too overpriced for what you get. Diminishing returns on those are quite high if you have the X series.

A lot of AGDenmark’s magic dust is the front end electronics. When you put the same electronics they put on their M-series on the X-series (equalize the electronics, give it the same privileges), for example, you’ll know what i mean. Is it the speaker’s doing or the electronics? it will get demystified for you.

The Aavik SD-880 and the 880 amps (a very unique implementation of the class A topology) are unbelievable...if you can afford it. I don’t feel like spending that much right now (would rather wait on some trickledown), but, i get to live vicariously through some guys with bottomless pockets around me who have it.

The Yamaha can hold its own for a different purpose (a different type of speaker than Borresen). These guys do a lot of iterative tuning with their musical instruments division, etc. I have yet to hear a violin or a piano that sounded as real/close as it does on that speaker, i.e. an advantage they have, when they choose to spend some money. A musician will find it quite useful.

The Borresen has other wow factors for audiophiles/playback, as reported by many of them...Both brands are very innovative/respectable (in different ways).

Post removed 

I have heard the TOTL Yamaha amp and preamp with the NS5000. It was not the gear I would use with those speakers. I actually own the NS5000 and use a CODA #16 with a Holo Audio Serene preamp. My Schitt Yggi+ OG DAC is also much better than the expensive DAC I heard paired with the TOTL Yamaha gear.

I recently heard another amp that I would love with the NS5000, it was the neutral  SimAudio  761 from the North Collection. Different sonically from the CODA and the Yamaha gear.

I thought my setup sounded excellent, but I only have a certain frame of reference. However, when a friend of mine, who is a musician and audio hardware vendor for some seriously famous musicians came over and heard my setup. His comments were very informative and made me realize I should keep the NS5000 forever. I tossed out the shipping boxes.

@deep_333 thanks for the heads up on the Aavik SD-880 and the 880 amps. I find your posts very informative.