Bookshelf speaker recommendations

I am in the need for some recommendation for bookshelf speakers in a small room(10x10). I currently have the Paradigm Mini Monitor v3 and for the price are good sounding speakers but they are way too midbass heavy like boxy sounding. A few options I was looking was the Dynaudio Audience 42 or 52 or even the Contour 1.1. I listening to everything but mostly rock and country. Every once in a while I like listening to vocals and acoustic instruments.

This will be powered by an Acurus A150 amplifier with a Rotel RC-995 preamp. My source is strictly lossless files and some streaming. 

My budget is around 1.2k.

Ag insider logo xs@2xhighend64

I agree with Deep333’s analysis. You have a couple nasty room nodes - eigentones as they are formally called that are likely at the root of your issue. Seeing as you can’t realistically pull the speakers into the room, and damping them is not feasible, you need two things: first, a speaker intended for half space placement- up or almost up against the wall, and that means a very well damped bass tuning (low Q like .7). Most small speakers are tuned with Q of closer to 1 or 1.1 to give a mid bass bump to camouflage their limited low bass (LS3/5a’s, I’m looking at you). Also, Make sure the speakers come with bungs to plug the ports, allowing you to tune the bass somewhat. I would look seriously at the Monitor Audio Silver 50 7G, The build and driver quality are a definite step up from most speakers in this range, and MA even specifies a 15 CM (6") space to the rear wall as all that is necessary - by design. The 7G MAs all have a quickness and clarity to them that is very surprising, without the usual hardness that can accompany the perception of speed. My second choice would be a pair of used KEF LS-50s - definitely a nearfield monitor, they didn’t spend over a decade on Stereophile’s Class A (Limited LF) list for nothing. They were, and are, the least expensive speaker on that list by a factor of about 10.

I would also, if at all possible, spring for a couple 2X4 ft 2" acoustical panels, They can’t address the LF room nodes, but they will do a remarkable job of clearing up the sound over all. Place them vertically along the side walls at ear level or on the ceiling, centering them on the line of first reflection, e.g. in a 10 ft room, assuming the speakers face is 1 ft from the wall and your listening position is 2 ft from the back wall, the panels would be centered on a line 3’5 ft from the wall behind the speakers.

@panzrwagn Thanks for the response. Most of the recommendation you mention has been addressed already. The room has acoustic panels with 2" thick. Both on the first reflection, rear, and behind the speakers. The speakers are 1/4(about 1.5ft) almost 1/3 into the room. The listening position is about 2/3 from the front wall or 1/3 from the rear wall(7 ft from the front wall or 3ft from the back).

I totally agree that the room dimensions is the worse for room nodes but it is the only room in the house that I can use for listening. It is the hardest to correct but not impossible. As I mention earlier in the thread, I have gone through many speakers and mostly does not have this issue. Most of the speakers I tried were front ported except two, the Paradigm Mini Monitors v3 and the Energy Veritas 2.2. The Energy Veritas had a different sound then the mini monitors but were not on a proper stand. I will use my room acoustic software(Smaart not REW) to see my current response.

You say you're looking for bookshelf speakers. Are you placing them on a bookshelf or will they be more stand mount? This makes a huge difference as most "bookshelf" speakers are not suitable to be place in the closed confines of a bookshelf. If stand mount, you have many options, if bookshelf, few. 

Why not consider sealed box design like ATC to help deal with the room? Not having a port simplifies things greatly matching to a difficult room