Best Rock Album of 2016

Alright rock fans, let's get our annual thread started.

I'm really digging Sturgill Simpson's "A Sailor's Guide to Earth" - yeah, I know its not pure rock and roll as he's an alt-country/americana guy with country roots, but this album is just killer.  Easily will be on my top albums of the year list.  

keithr
astro58go
539 posts
01-27-2017 9:52pm
Maybe not "rock" but definitely one of the best lps of 2016.. Leonard Cohen "You Want It Darker".

Absolutely, and so poignant.. Another LP I very often play is David Gilmour's 'Rattle that lock', very masterful..
Bowie - Black Star is great
Wilco Schmilco is also great
Sturgill Simpson - all of his stuff is great.  

Sadly, great rock albums are becoming more and more scarce these days.  Or maybe I'm just getting old and stodgy.  :(
NIN w/ David Bowie "Back In Anger"... Vol 2

Honorable mention and a damn good lp!
Maybe not "rock" but definitely one of the best lps of 2016.. Leonard Cohen "You Want It Darker".
Coming in #2 is The Moon Shaped Pool by Radiohead. This is the first Radiohead I have enjoyed all the way through since Amnesiac. This is a very intimate recording and like their best outings it feels like they are playing for you and you alone.
qdrone,

I completely agree with your post of "Black Star", a "Mastrerwork"!!!

sbank,

I think it's all subjective and based upon one's personal choices?

Cheers!
Compared to the last few years, was this a bad year for memorable new releases? This year all my favorites acquisitions are OLD albums. Cheers,
Spencer
Black Star from Bowie gets my vote,he left us an enduring gift and legacy. R.I.P.
Drive-By Truckers "American Band" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm happy to say that this effort is their best so far and even though it is on ATO, it sounds great!
Downloaded it first, then bought LP copy of Elaenia by the Floating Points. Love it! Amazon reviewer compared it to Miles Davis (thats why I bought it), he was way too kind! However, for those of us who still listen to the Tubular Bells, this may be an interesting catch. 
Being a subscriber to Analog Planet (Mike Fremer) paid off: the latest from the Apple Rabbits is on constant repeat on my Pono player. Should have bought LP, it is that good!! Downloaded all AR previous efforts, was not impressed: too Radiohead-y
jb2455,

I'm a big PT/Steven Wilson fan. I have most of PT on vinyl and SW as well. "4-1/2" was not, IMO, one of his best in terms of sonics. Side on (lp) is not very good in SQ, IMO, Side two is better.

I'm not calling you out, just wanted to make my case for any one considering shelling out big bucks for the lp.

Cheers!
Robert Plant and the Sensational Sound Shifters "lullaby and...The Ceaseless Roar"

Although, I just recently learned of this, ( I don't know which one jafant refers to) I noticed it was released in 2014.

I highly recommend watching the ACL set. Plant melds in some of the classic Led Zeppelin with his new stuff. I found it to be inspirational and fresh.

My vinyl just arrived. It's a double lp (three music side) with a cd. Pressed at Pallas.

Robert Plant may be old but there is a reason the songs from the 60,70's still keep on playing. It had soul, depth.

I just don't think the younger Rock Music is very good. They all jump around the stage but the music is pretty mundane. Disposal in my opinion.

"And stay off my lawn"!

jafant,

laughing...... Robert Plant is old.

BTW, is there a new Robert Plant album? I didn't see one on Amazon, iTunes or wiki 2016 Album releases. 
jafant,

I saw RP and his band on ACL last weekend. Awesome!! Going to order the vinyl today.
Jeff Beck - Loud Hailer is my favorite rock album from the last few years. It should get the grammy for best rock album of 2016. It's classic JB, but also very contemporary songwriting and singing by Rosie Bones. It's political, in a political year (aren't they all now). Well worth your effort if you haven't listened to it. The vinyl in top-notch.

Bon Iver new album is different with some weird sampling , but as a whole, I LOVE it!!!
Still can't get into the latest Radiohead...a few more 2016 favorites:

William Tyler "Modern Country"
Cass McCombs "Mangy Love"
Band of Horses "Why are you OK"
Underworld "Barbara Barbars..."
Rufus Du Sol "Bloom"

Heard a cut off of the new Santana on the radio the other day...don't remember the song's name but the lyrics were horrible! I know of one lp I won't be buying.

They just started playing the snot out of the new Radiohead release on WFUV here in NY and now I'm finally not confusing them with Coldplay any longer...and I like what I've heard so far. 

Surprising even myself I discovered a Radiohead cd in my collection that I don't remember buying.  Then again Lucinda's release a little while back bears mention as well. 

I think Ray Lamontagne's Ouroboros is outstanding. It's an actual album not just a collection of songs. 
Listened to the new Peter Wolf Album last night.  "A Cure For Loneliness".  A little different from his past few albums.

More on the Americana/Bluegrass/Country side of things, but still pretty damn good.

He does a Hillbilly/Bluegrass version of "Love Stinks" which is...well...unique.
Of 2016...?

Sheesh, folks, it ain't even 2016:30 yet...

I'm awaiting the release of the new Felice Brothers, always a contender for best of the year.  

mofimadness
"Listened to the new Clapton all the way through twice now. Excellent! He has re-teamed up with Glyn Johns for this.

"I Still Do" is a 2 disc, 45RPM release and only sells for around $25!

Kinda like the Clapton of old. What is it with all these older guys suddenly finding their way again...like old times? Great for us."

i just checked the Dynamic Range Database and would you believe the new Clpton CD is already posted. The bad news is that the CD is kind of compressed. Not terrible but disappointing. Al least it’s not as bad as his last one, The Breeze (CD) which had abysmal dynamic range numbers. Hopefully the vinyl of I Still Do fared better.

Listened to the new Clapton all the way through twice now. Excellent! He has re-teamed up with Glyn Johns for this.

"I Still Do" is a 2 disc, 45RPM release and only sells for around $25!

Kinda like the Clapton of old. What is it with all these older guys suddenly finding their way again...like old times? Great for us.

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/clapton-and-johns-team-and-create-musical-and-sonic-magic
Santana IV keeps getting better and better on repeat. I think this is his best since the 70’s.

BTW, any word on the new Radiohead?
Just listened to the new Robin Trower album "Where Are You Going To?".  Excellent!  Man, can that dude play the guitar.  Reminded me a lot of the old Robin Trower.  Highly recommended.

The new Goo Goo Dolls "Boxes" is just okay.  I really like them, but the past couple of albums have left me kinda cold.
Santigold's new album 99c is strong enough to be on many AOY lists. It reflects quite a few influences and as usual her music is hard to classify (Wiki says its art pop, alternative dance, new wave). 99c is close to being the perfect album with not one filler and every song well crafted. This album oozes classic from the album cover, sick beats and lyrically clever digs at our throw away and media mad culture. Production and sound quality are all excellent.