Best Integrated/Control Amp for less than $5000

I'm getting back into the hobby after a 30 hear absence, and it looks like I will need to replace my 1990 Hafler DH120 amplifier/100 preamp setup.  Amazing that it still works, based on what I am hearing from some of you. 

What are your thoughts on a basic integrated or control amp for less than $5,000.  

Harbeth P3ESR XD

Pair REL T5x Sub

Bluesound Node

Would appreciate your input.  Thanks!

wlp3

@wlp3 Very nice gear! Separates I’m assuming. Tubes or SS? Good Luck! Lots to choose from in this price range.

Yes, separates.  I have heard a lot of good things about Van Alstine SET 120 amp.  Priced at about $1300!  I have been coveting the Audio Research I-50 integrated...but it is 4X the price and a different animal altogether.

Yes Van Alstine makes great gear as does AR, I wound up with an integrated after wanting to downsize and get into tubes, couldn’t be happier, Went with an Octave V70 Class A, twice your budget but their V40se is a stunning amp and given your powered subs would easily drive your Harbeths with beautiful results. I love the look of them too.

Yeah, I think I have given up on resurrecting the Hafler.  It is still using it, but I am not sure how much longer.  Plus, I would like to upgrade sooner rather than later.  I am not sure I want to spend money on replacing caps, etc.

Conrad Johnson CAV 45. This is my first CJ and was really surprised due to the stereotypical reputation of the CJ sound. I’m very impressed how transparent, detailed and airy, maybe this is due to no preamp section. Just stays crystal clear at the same time being very musical, which I think is hard to pull off. It’s also very fast with very good bass. It is warm side of neutral but not dark and syrupy at all.

I bought this for second system and have rarely used my main system in a while. Most important it draws you in, you lose track of time, just so musical and natural sounding. I’ve got to agree with Conrad Johnson slogan “it just sounds right”. I guess you can tell I like this amp.

If the CJ is not for you look at Audio Hungary  A20i if it has enough power for you at 20 class A watts.

So many integrated amplifiers for under 5K that would best the Hafler combination.  The question is which ones play best with your speakers towards your sonic preferences.

How does the P3ESR XD sound with the current Hafler amp? I was made to understand that some people find the XD bright sounding. A more appropriate recommendation may be provided with this information.