Best American music of the last 25 years?

What songs and artists best represent American music over the past 25 years?

I am making a mega playlist for my friend immigrating to the States next month. She loves English music but it's heavily censored where she is from. What are the best songs to help her catch up to date on popular genres and show her the best songs of the last 25 years?

Bonus points for songs that cover the plight of generations or relevant sociopolitical situations at the time.

leon471

Haven’t yet been to any of their shows but according to some who have, ‘Goose’ shows are similar to the same vibe that we got from seeing the ‘Grateful Dead’ (with Jerry Garcia).

https://www.goosetheband.com/

Soul Coughing

Neutral Milk Hotel

Hiss Golden Messinger

Phosphorescent 

Over the Rhine 

Birds of Chicago

Will Oldham (Bonnie Prince Billy)

Sam Baker ...( both)

Joanna Newsom

Lady Blackbird

Ooh, good ones @slaw. I should have included Mary Gauthier, whom I had the pleasure of seeing live in a small Portland club last year. She was fantastic (very funny, and a good story teller), just her voice, her acoustic guitar (she’s a very effective player---very dynamic), and her wonderful songs. She was joined on harmony vocals on some songs by the woman whom often opens for her on the road (as on this night), don’t remember her name.

But for Pete’s sake, how could I forget Levon Helm?! After leading The Band following the departure of J.R. Robertson, and following the deaths of Band pianist/singer/songwriter Richard Manuel and bassist/singer/songwriter Rick Danko, Levon recorded and released two albums, Dirt Farmer in 2007 and Electric Dirt in 2009, both winning him Grammy Awards. Not bad for an Arkansas hillbilly. ;-)

This is pretty sad.  Most of the names posted haven't had a hit in 25 yrs.  Artists I love like Prince, Tom Petty, John Mellencamp and Bruce Springsteen all had their major hits before the 25 yr threshold.  Bruno Mars, pearl jam, red hot chili peppers, Dave mathews band, the killers, Eminem, Kanye, Kendrick Lamar, Taylor swift, the weekend, lady gaga, maroon 5, imagine dragons, chainsmokers, Linkin park, foo fighters, green day

Much more in country music.  It is scary how American music (top 40) has slipped the past 25 yrs.  My kids and their friends listen to rap and hip hop.  No wonder country music is so popular now.