Balanced Audio VK-200....

Lets get some feedback on this baby. I know BAT is known for their tube amps, how do these compare?? If you can describe the sound, please do. I have audio physic Virgos and a VTL 5.5 pre, does anyone think this is a good choice....thanks Mark
mythtrip
I used to have a vk200 driving Virgo's. Great combo. Excellent bass, good staging, smooth open top end. I then upgraded to a vk60. The vk60 was more open rich in the midrange, better depth, not quite as good on the extremes. The vk200 was deathly quiet. They are both good, but different. I liked the vk60 better. I'm more a of a tube fan.
I used to own a VK-500 with the BATPAK option. Lots of power reserve, but not much else.

I then purchased and sold a SimAudio moon W-5 which is far superior to the VK-500 in the way of detail, transient attacks, and even added a touch of sweetness.

Combine the articulation, speed, and sweet sound of the W-5 with the power of the VK-500, and you'd have quite an amp.

I would recommend you look at the W-5 or even the $1000 Odyssey Stratos which is rated by some as a step better than the W-5.

-IME
I have heard and seen a number of opinions that criticize the VK-500, but have seen or heard nothing negative concerning the VK-200. I personally have owned a VK-200 for about 2 years. Its a great amp that puts out a ton of power, operates mostly in class A (I measured the power draw at different volume settings, and it didn't change, and it runs quite hot), and sounds sweet, very extended top end and a ton of low end slam, nice detail as well. Here on the 'gon they are available cheap and I would highly recommend them. I am using with the SF Line 2 preamp (tube) and Vandersteen 2Ce speakers.
Tireguy, what led your decision to switch from tubed amp (BAT VK-60) to the SS BAT VK-500? I'm just curious, because I'm considering switching from SS to tubes.

Regards,
John
John- I wouldn't have done it if my speakers didn't need gobbs of power, I went from a pair of Avalons to a pair of Magnepans and the VK-60 just simply won't hack it. I would love to get a pair of Wolcotts, how ever right now I am saving for a new house and the VK-500 will work for now- tough decisions I have to make :) Though if it is obtainable I would strongly recommend trying tubes, I enjoyed them it was easy, I just need more power than most reasonibly priced tube amps offer.