Audiophilism is a hobby

This post grew out of another discussion on music vs. sound. According to a poll taken in that discussion, it is clear most A’goners claim they listen to their rigs primarily for the music. Although I don’t doubt the truth of that, I maintain that much of the listening is as a hobby, with music being a very important component. I’m not saying we can’t be profoundly moved by the music but rather that a lot of our enjoyment comes from the sheer sound emitted from our speakers. Great music is of course a vital part of the experience, but with all the manipulations we do with our systems, we  are fascinated by the idea of sound in itself as a hobby.

128x128rvpiano

We say "music" when we mean "recordings." We can buy "sheet music," but it won't play itself. So we acquire recorded performances of that music. Some of these recordings are lousy -- the conductor has an idiosyncratic interpretation that we can't stand; the mix is unlistenable, etc. Some recordings are pleasing. And maybe one is sublime, from performance to pressing. Same "music," different recordings. You want music? Hire a band to play in your capacious listening room. Me, I'll take their magnificent studio recording of that same music.

I haven't read all the comments throughout this thread.  So, if this point (if it is one) has already been alluded to, my apologies!

Although probably applicable, I've always had a bit of difficulty accepting the term or concept of "hobby" for what audiophiles are preoccupied with.  It seems, to me, that the common denominator in this or what is at the core of what all audiophiles do is the visceral love of music.  That's what kicks it all off!  The term or concept of "hobby, I think, probably applies more to those who are constantly or frequently "upgrading", swapping out components and/or tweaking their sound systems in search of that elusive holy grail of the "best" sound fidelity.  For those, however, who achieve levels of satisfaction with their sound systems that they can live with for considerably longer periods of time and, thereby, "upgrade" much less frequently, even when they can afford it, I think are more lovers of music than hobbyists.

Does that make sense?

I have characterized our pursuit as a "hobby" for a long time. I don't think it's fundamentally different than someone who plays Magic the Gathering, collects autotomotons, sings in a community choir, or restores vintage automobiles.

For those of us who still listen to physical media our hobby has 2 dimensions. We collect and curate our equipment but more importantly we collect and curate our music. I can get goosebumps from listening to one of my favorite tracks on a boom box. But to hear the dynamics, frequency range, and imaging realism on my system is thrilling. Sort of like driving a really fast sports car around the track. Hobby is the best word I can use to describe what I'm doing.

We figured in a previous thread that there less than a million audiophiles in the US and of that group only a small number care enough to post about it on internet sites.

This estimate is probably off and the number is a lot higher, imo. The younger audiophile is a "home theater" guy, with a HT setup, spatial headphones, etc. I know quite a few of them in my city. They view audio as a multitasking system for their music, movies and games. Their setups tend to sound shockingly good and in many cases may beat the daylights out of some of the $$$$ channel based purist systems around here.

The older lads here probably have little to no idea about the above mentioned, play games, etc. Purist stereo rigs my be a dying breed, but, the above mentioned is not. If these uppity audio brands don’t repurpose themselves a bit, they will be closing shop soon enough.

The fact that AV forums have skyrocketing memberships and sites like Agon have dwindling membership should be initial proof.