Audio Research Pre-Amp advice

Hi, what would be a good used Audio Research pre-amp that has a remote, that is overall very musical. My budget is under 6K? I really don't want any Ref. pre's because too many tubes. Also something not too old, I do not want to have to bring in for service. I welcome and appreciate any advice. Thank you!

romad

I have a ARC LS15 tube pre amp that I bought in 1996 and still use it to this day I did cap upgrade over 15 years ago It has 4 12xA7 tubes that have been replace once  Oh it also has a remote

@tomic601 I also have an ARC Ref 5SE and love it.  But if you haven't replaced the tubes for 6000 hours you should really do that.  The 6H30 and 6550 tubes are cheap and the manual recommends replacing them every 4000 hours.  It is likely that there has been a slight degradation in the sound quality and you just haven't noticed it.

I have owned several ARC pre amps over the years and each one has been great. I currently have an LS27 with XLR and remote.  I have no desire to upgrade at this time.  Very musical pre amp.

Some rather strange responses and comments here!

OP - I would have thought not many, if any, dealer would keep a 7yr old product on Dem (unless it's still current in the lineup, which I don't know). And what's your problem with the valve compliment in a Ref version? An LS28SE, which I agree would/should be high on your list, uses 4 6H30's, but a Ref version only uses two more tubes, so what's your gripe? My Ref 3 uses this compliment, and in response to @pinwa - have you been living under a rock for a few years?! 6H30's and 6550W tubes are anything but cheap! c$60 EACH for the 6H30 (rapidly becomming rare btw due to the Russian 'thing'!) and c$80/120 for the 6550W, which, IMO, does not make them cheap, unless, of course, you are rich.

I'm also VERY surprised at the comment by @ghdprentice , normally quite knowlegeable, but saying his Ref 5SE has never had a tube change in 10 YEARS!!! Don't you ever use it then?? And you comment of 'never needed' - what does that mean? It still works so doesn't need new tube(s)?! ARC recommend a change at 4000hrs, but for best sound quality, every 3000hrs! So you must be using your Ref 5SE for less than c7hrs per WEEK! Only ONE hour per day?! Or one afternoon/evening per week. It takes c2hrs for my Ref 3 to 'come on song'.

As for people mentioning the tube hours counter - this 'feature' is complete BS except for the original owner or original tube replacer (if that's a word), and unless you KNOW, for certain, when the tubes were inserted into one of these that has a tube counter, you can take the figure with a huge 'pinch of salt', as that can be zeroed at any time, VERY easily, without even taking the cover off on some models (like my Ref 3 eg) so my recommendation is to ignore what a seller says about tube hours.

@jrwaudio 

I also have a LS15 bought in '96 with updated Infini caps (work done by Ward Fiebiger may he RIP). Changed the original Sovtek tubes after about 12 years! Put in Gold Lions, wow what a difference.  It has been relegated to the garage stereo as I have a REF6 now.

Regards,

barts