At what price is one considered an Audiophile.

Audiophilia, what is is it?

Is it the love of music or the equipment that presents the music.

Or is it both? 

What is the cost of admission?

How much does one have to spend on equipment to be considered an Audiophile, if it is truly the later than the music.

What has membership to this perceived exclusive club cost you?

jacobsdad2000

Exactly... Thanks...

For myself, and most music loving friends...we have all heard expensive systems we did not like, and inexpensive systems we liked very much...certainly synergy and room acoustics are long recognized factors...but unfortunately, all the best systems we have heard have been expensive...though I thoroughly enjoy my much less expensive secondary systems, and could be very happy if that's all I had...exploring better equipment or room acoustic should never get in the way of enjoying what you have...

There is no $ amount as a price of admission.

For me it is about the rush I get when I hear something new or different in a record that sounds better. At times it may be from a minor change that has big impact or a relatively bigger change that may only has a small impact.

If you appreciate reproduced sound quality, seek to have it in your house and realize you can always get something better and can live with that you are a sane audiophile. If you are on the never ending hamster wheel of upgrades, my condolences. At this point, I am happy with my system's sound and realize the limitations of my room acoustics and only change equipment when something breaks or wears out. 

I do seek out better sounding records of my favorite recordings however....luckily that is a fairly reasonable number. 

You are an Audiophile when

You wake up in the middle of the night to turn over and start thinking about

Toeing your speakers in or out.

If you should buy a different power cord

Should I put more absorption on the back wall

Should I change the hollow core door to a solid core door

It has nothing to do with the amount of $$$

An audiophile is person with the pursuit of reproducing music as faithfully as possible by using hi fi equipment... Budget has no bearing. However, the pursuit can be quite expensive.