Are your record surfaces as silent as CDs?

When I got my new analog setup (please refer to my profile if interested ) I was very surprised that surface noise virtually disappeared from most of my records.  It’s like I was listening to CDs.  I’m wondering if others have had that same experience.with their setup.

128x128rvpiano

Technically, vinyl can only give you about 60db S/N exclusive of the pre-amp (although different vinyls these days provide somewhat better that that), and CDs at least 95db+, so CDs will always be quieter.  A properly designed phono pre will, itself, be quieter then the record, so you shouldn't  have any additive noise.

However, with a lot of the newer turntables these days having internal ADC/DAC systems to get you that USB connection that can't be switched out of the way to get your a direct out RCA feed, then your S/N is going to be based on the turntable's electronics, not the vinyl. 

Similar to the analog vs digital approach to sound reproduction & generally, CD’s either work w/ virtually no surface noise or they don’t work at all & records always have some surface noise from the penny on the head shell department store model to the very best. Of course both can sound great depending on a multitude of factors but CD’s / digitally sourced music wins every time in this category. 

I have to admit that even though I have a really nice Basis turntable/ arm combo for many years & lots of records, since I got an Innuos server & Qobuz, I’ve gotten very lazy & don’t play much vinyl now. 

A vinyl collection is a must for me. I also have a couple thousand of them but 80% bought used, mostly back in the seventies. Used record stores were huge back then. I played some way too many times since then for some not to have some type of background noises in them. I catalog those as slightly noisy and they are not bothersome to me at all. Any that I list as little noisy, I usually look for a NM copy unless the price is unrealistic. If so I look for a new repress. All that to say that records do wear over time as it is the nature of the vinyl. In the end I am so glad to now have CDs and streaming to take the load off playing records over and over like I used to. My ratio is vinyl 10%, CDs 10%, streaming 80%. Meaning my vinyl collection will now remain nearly perfect for what's left of my life. I enjoy the quality of the 3 medias equally and use streaming the most to discover new music. Life in the audio world has never been better.

Have you treated the records with anything?  I have albums that are over 40 years old that I treated with LAST (other threads have discussed this product) with excellent results.  It does quiet down the surface noise IMO.