Are Buchardt A500 Signature Edition A Good Choice For First Speakers?

For the past few years I've been limited to a headphones only setup due to having three kids, five and under, at home. Now they're all off to school and I'm looking to purchase my first set of desktop speakers, or similar size, for my desk area. I'm still confined to the loft, so nothing too big, but the Buchardt A500 Signature Edition look to fit the bill. Are these good speakers for $5,000? I like that they are active and I don't have to figure out an additional amp and crossovers to power them. How is the sound quality compared to other speakers in their price range? Is there anything cheaper but better? I was hoping that Borresen will have a new X model desktop version, like the new X3, but only smaller, but that may be out of my price range if it ever becomes available. Thanks for the advice. 

jackjohnson316

I do not know how the Buchardt sounds, though they seem to be pretty well-regarded.

$5000 is no chump change and can get you a really good sounding setup. I am in the same boat as you having young children and are confined to desktop hifi setup. But I managed to build a really nice Cabasse Riga desktop setup that is perfect for near field listening and is easily as good sounding as Borresen. But that is out of your price range. What you could consider is a pair of Pearl Akoya. It would cost you $4000 a pair. Or a smaller Pearl Keshi set if your desk is not big. 

Another good option you can consider is getting a decent 'just add speaker' integrated amplifier and then get a pair of passive bookshelves. Some examples in the range of $1500-2500 are Cabasse Abyss, Nad C3050LE, JBL SA550. Then $2000-3000 for the speakers. 

Some suggestions. Triangle Comete 40th Anniversary, Dali Menuet SE, Kef LS50 Meta, Jern 12WS, Sonus Faber Sonetto II.

Post removed 

You can buy better sound for less. E.g. the passive Buchardts with an amp. If you want an active speaker and your budget is 5K, Dynaudio Focus is better value, more sold, tested and reviewed. 

Cannot speak to the Buchardt.  I can however speak to active.  Have owned/own  3 pairs of ATC and they are brilliant.  In your price range used ATC SCM20A PRO MK2.  Their reputation is earned in full.  Very dynamic with live sound.  Good luck with your search.

Post removed 
thecarpathian

3,522 posts

I always wonder if Audiotroy is either drunk or likes to close his eyes when he types...

The search bar is a great tool, can keep your foot or keyboard out of your mouth.🙄

steakster

1,629 posts

audiotroy OP

I have to write replies on my phone as it is easier to finger type as I h ad a stroke which was mentioned previously

_ _ _ _ _ _ _

excerpted from this discussion.

Buchardts can sound amazing.

So Can ATC or ProAcs or Genelecs

and another dozen in the active, great sounding bookshelf category.

Audience makes an active, one-way desktop that sounds great.

Be aware the Michael Borresen said that Active

speakers do not necessarily sound better than passives.

Note how many he offers. None.

@recklesskelly ,

Oh, my.

My apologies to @audiotroy . Thank you for pointing this out. I shall now attempt to pull the keyboard from my mouth...

$5k for active bookshelf speakers? That sounds painfully steep... Can’t you browse the classfields on Audiogon? Surely, you can find an excellent amp around $2k or less and an excellent pair of speakers around $2k as well... Or search for some Active Genelecs...

EDIT: There's a lot of cool stuff around $2k over on Audiogon. From powered DALI Rubicons to a NAD M22 amp, to Golden Ear BRX speakers etc... 

i've only heard the passive s400, which are vg, but based on features/specs $4k doesn't seem like a bad deal for the a500, considering you get a full range speaker, amp, wifi streamer and dac in one package. i would be curious to hear how these compare to the similarly configured kef ls50 wireless, which don't go as low but are a grand cheaper.

Thanks everyone for the great input and suggestions. After reading everyone’s thoughts I believe I need to look a little more into passive speakers. I was thinking active speakers would be better, cheaper, and less cables to buy….But that may not be the case. Also if I buy active speakers then the only upgrade path would better cables or sell to get a better unit. With passive speakers I can buy the amp and then buy better speakers as funds become available. My initial research for a power amp is pointing me towards a Burson Audio Timekeeper 3XGT. I’ve had Burson products in the past and I’m familiar with their sound and value. Now I just need to find some good passive desktop sized speakers. Thanks again for the help. 

I am going round on the Buchardt A500 SE and the regular S400 with the matching integrated I150 amp. I like DSP speakers ...  I think I can find a good deal on some used S400's and the amp maybe coming in around $3600 USD plus cables .. 

I’ve been doing a lot more research and one company I came across is Zu Audio. They have two speakers, the DW6 and the DWX, that are both relatively affordable and are also unique in that they don’t require crossovers. So my search for my first set of speakers has broadened to Buchardt active or passive speakers, and Zu Audio speakers with the upgrade package. It’s getting complicated with so many options for speakers and amps, but hopefully I land on something I’ll like and stick with for a while. 

Another option is to get the standard Buchardt A500, which costs significantly less than the Signature Edition. At current exchange rates, around $3800 USD for the standard version vs $5300 USD for the Signature Edition.

The significant difference in the Signature Edition is that it uses Purifi woofer drivers for enhanced bass performance, but the standard A500 already has excellent bass.

The Signature Edition is produced in limited runs of 50, and it is currently sold out. If you wanted it, you’d have to wait for them to release a new batch or find a used pair.