Anyone listen to entire albums?

I assume the answer is yes since many of you run vinyl rigs, but just wondering how many around here listen to entire albums at a sitting?  In the age of instant gratification and playlists I seem to be, recently, gravitating to listening through entire albums.  I don’t have vinyl and only stream or play from a network drive so it’s easy for me to bounce around from song to song, artist to artist.  Maybe it’s a nostalgia thing but I enjoy hearing a record in it’s entirely the way the artist recorded it.  I’ve flirted with the idea of vinyl for the very reason that it seems to be a format that lends itself to listening through an entire album in one sitting.  I seem to be less inclined to make that move though now that I’ve been doing the album thing via streaming. 

128x128jastralfu

Vinyl First listener here (90%)…so I often listen to a full album but usually, maybe half the time, only my favourite side. (After having admitting to that…) I recently asked one of the Younger members (mid 30’s) of our local “Vinyl Club” why he liked to hang around us Old Guys (most in our 60’s). His answer was “because you guys listen to the whole side or album, like the material was intended to be heard”. Obviously he was referring to “older” music (Jazz/Rock/Classical) but I found that shocking. He went on to explain/complain that all the age appropriate audio/music friends he had drove him Nuts… changing songs constantly and worse, playing 10 second lines and segments of song Constantly… 

He also said we had better stereos too… 

I was just laughing to myself about this. Went to change tracks yesterday, forgetting it was an LP.

LP’s, usually all the way thru, and I definitely want the original order. I like extra tracks as long as they are added at the end (CD or LP).

Recently I have been playing specific/favorite/revealing LP’s to hear the differences of new/re-discovered speaker positioning/toe-in.

added a virtual system about positioning/toe-in recently

I realized that forgetting it’s an LP would never happen unless my new to me SACD/CD player didn’t sound so good (Sony xa5400es)

I am re-discovering my SACD/CDs, actually buying used CD’s of artists I re-discover or new artists I learn about. (hadn’t bought a CD in many years until recently).

CD: I skip tracks I know I don’t like, I play specific tracks for friends, specific tracks to enjoy alone, and specific tracks to hear any difference when evaluating a change.

LP’s, if evaluating, I wait for those most revealing tracks.

I and my friends always prefer LPs to CD’s and always prefer Reel to Reel to LPs. Never a doubt. The preference of LP’s to CDs has narrowed now.

Thinking of Mike Pinder’s recent death, I just bought a sealed LP of one of my all time favorite albums, the Moody Blues, Go Now, their 1st album when they were a piano based blues band, before Justin Hayward’s era.

So, I will be having a CD/LP/Reel to Reel session soon.

Turned out: the sealed LP I bought has a sticker "Crazy Eddie, $3.99" on it, what a memory.

Agree with everything except the "one sitting" part....I abandoned vinyl because you can't hear an entire album without getting up, all after the ritual cleaning before - only to wash rinse repeat for album #2.

Digital allows listening to the album(s) in truly "one sitting" :-)

I'm retired, so absolutey. Listening to the entire album, or entire side in case of vinyl is the best way to get the message of the artist on a particular album. At least that applies to all artists worthy of that word. However nowadays many pop artists don't put much thought into their music as it is mostly made at the command of the producers to produce hits. But I don't bother listening to those. 

I’m now 100 percent digital. I stream my ripped/downloaded music from the NAS or from Qobuz.    I usually stream entire albums, but it is not feasible to do that with compilation releases that include multiple CD’s. Occasionally I’ll play a favorite song or two for inspiration.  I have a few playlists to make it easy to play one off songs that I like.  That’s the beauty of streaming.

I don’t mind reissues that have new tracks as long as they do not change the order of the original album. Sometimes the reissues sound great and no one is putting a gun to my head to listen to the new tracks.