Anyone ever have, use or hear this tube?

I always thought that the pinnacle of the ecc82/12au7 type tube was the Telefunken ecc802s. Even better than the Amperex 7316. But, I recently found out that there is an extra special designation for some ecc802's dubbed the G73R. These are supposed to be unmatched in quality and longevity, said to last 40,000+ hours! Anybody familiar with, heard or own these things??

thecarpathian

@thecarpathian 

Yes, yes, yes. You named some terrific tubes.

I haven't heard of Simply Italy. Will look it up.

When my F-I-L passed we inherited BOXES of signal and rectifier tubes and a Hickok tube tester. I spent the better part of a summer testing tubes. Most were microphonic. The ones saved are in plastic boxes...never used, rarely thought about.

I'll be interested hearing what you end up doing.

David

Don't know about the 12A family, but I did a bit of rolling when I had an ARC SP10. Very good were Telefunken 6902, but standard T 6902 were almost poor beside the Telefunken 6902 specially selected by HP. They came with both T and HP seals.

Rumour in 1970's LA was that engineering co-op students spent a lot of time at HP testing tubes, discarding more than 95% to the dumpster. Which explained why HP want 10x the price for their tubes. 

Yeah, anything labeled for lab equipment and such used the tested cream of the crop. And you pay for those little letters and stickers!

@audioman58 ,

You think you’re the only one with tube knowledge and experience? I’m well aware of where nos tubes come from. They are what I research and buy exclusively. I’m also aware of the common ones, the rare ones and the ones in between. I’m aware of the applicable prices. I’m also aware of reputable companies that sell them, tested, matched, and readings confirmed with a print out. Although I appreciate you taking time to post, your blunt, rigid statements leave a bit to be desired.

@wharfy ...reminiscent of ee cummings, actually......waiting on taking a 'breath', so to....type... ;)

Not here to judge....just edu-lurking anyway....