Anyone ever have, use or hear this tube?

I always thought that the pinnacle of the ecc82/12au7 type tube was the Telefunken ecc802s. Even better than the Amperex 7316. But, I recently found out that there is an extra special designation for some ecc802's dubbed the G73R. These are supposed to be unmatched in quality and longevity, said to last 40,000+ hours! Anybody familiar with, heard or own these things??

thecarpathian

@wharfy ,

Yes, I forgot to mention they are coated with a black rfi/emi shielding.

They were made I think for a single specific company. If you did any tube rolling in the Cayin, how did they compare to other, less expensive tubes? Thanks!

@thecarpathian

I did a fair amount of tube rolling, with both the AU7 and AX7. I started with new production EH 12AU7-they are ok, are dependable, and very quiet. The Genalex ECC82 is terrific for modern production tubes--good dynamics, resolution across the sound spectrum, are rugged, and again no microphonics. Tung-Sol 12AU7/6189 sounds terrific and have low microphonics. If you find NOS Mullard 12AU7 you will get a tube with the Mullard house sound--great creamy mids, a tad rolled-off at the higher ends. The new Mullard 12AU7 are Russian production and are detailed, low distortion and terrific for their price. FWIW, my F-I-L also had sets of G73R because he was an electrical engineer for Hewlett-Packard, back in the day. That’s how I acquired them.

Before selling the Cayin (which was paired with a 2005-era Jolida JD100 CD player-GE5751’s sound GREAT in it), I started rolling 12AU7 variants because my father-in-law was a ham radio enthusiast, and had a cabinet full. The Sylvania 6189W is a AU7 variant and I liked it very much--clear resolution, good top and bottom end. Raytheon 5814 is good, for the same reasons as the Sylvania 6189W. The AU7 variant I liked the most is the CBS/Hytron 5814a. It is detailed with great dynamics and low distortion. Ironically, with the rolling I did I did’t try the Amperex 7316.

Since the G73R are Telefunken’s, from experience I think Telefunken made awesome signal tubes across the board. As time has passed, they have gotten expensive. Sure enough, I looked up the pricing and Tube Depot listed them at $500 a piece.

Hope this is helpful!

What audio equipment do you have that has 12AU7s?

David

Thanks, David.

I have about 14 pair of 12au7 variants. CBS /Hytron one of my favorites.

Mullard CV4003 is another good one. Telefunken red tips labeled for Tektronix equipment, Westinghouse 337 a surprisingly good tube if you can find them, Amperex, Amperex 7316 with ’D’ getter (my favorite), regular Telefunken long and short plates, Cifte, RCA black plates...can’t remember the rest.

The G73R’s would go in a Simply Italy integrated I’m contemplating buying. Last gear I had that the 12au7’s went in was an Odyssey Audio Candela preamp. Gone for a few years now. They're all just sitting in my safe, for lack of a better place to store them.

Total BS onthe hype even these so called10,000 tubes that’s not  realistic under laboratory perfect circumstances, that’s made up ,even if a tube could play that long it’s far past it’s optimum .I have had tubes since the 1970s  .

these rare tubes youtruly don’t know if they are matched, or even used unless 

you have a tube tester.tube sellers put out ads and buy these  from all over the world in lots from people’s garages cellars used in equipment .

believe inly1/2 of what you read . I have been there done that ,and true vintage tubes are getting more rare ,anything NOS will be a premium over $500-$1k a pair 

such as these Tele tubes mentioned , 

@audioman58 

Are you the Yoda of A'gon? Or perhaps James Joyce?

I re-read your posts multiple times.....

Spellcheck and editing would help.

Just sayin'

And yes, NOS are harder to find. As are good tube testers.