Any opinions on the AMR Digital Processor 777 Dac?

I am wondering what users are thinking of this dac and if they have compared it to similarly priced units. I haven't seen much information or any professional reviews at this point and I am intrigued by it's functionality.
schw06
Ok, my dac probably has about 800 hours on it.., it is doing that magical thing now. This is a ridiculously good product. I hate to wax poetic but dang if this this is not freaky good!!!
I see that Stereophile gave this DAC a Class A rating in this month's Recommended Components. Honestly, I think it should have been A+. Maybe I am missing something but the Empirical Off-Ramp and Grace m903 are A+?? Also, the Weiss 202 & Ayre QB-9? All these are probably good but if they are A+, so is the AMR DP-777...just my opinion. My DP-777 now has 700 hours and I am still running direct to the amps.......simply outstanding.
I see that Stereophile gave this DAC a Class A rating in this month's Recommended Components. Honestly, I think it should have been A+. Maybe I am missing something but the Empirical Off-Ramp and Grace m903 are A+?? Also, the Weiss 202 & Ayre QB-9? All these are probably good but if they are A+, so is the AMR DP-777...just my opinion. My DP-777 now has 700 hours and I am still running direct to the amps.......simply outstanding.

Jeffga...my guess is Art Dudley who reviewed it and liked it a lot argued for A+ rating but John Atkinson who measured it (and he was unimpressed with its measured performance) argued for a lower rating and they compromised and came out with a Class A rating.
Cmalak: In the last paragraph of JA's comments he mentions sending a 24-bit/44.1kHz signal to the DP-777, and since 'Auto Select' was enabled it saw the 44.1 sampling rate and selected the 16-bit Classic DAC, this is why it downsampled (truncated) the 24-bit signal to 16-bit. He could have either turned off auto or manually selected the HD DAC.

There are not many 24/44.1 music files out there, so one might wonder why he chose such a signal to test. Surely 88.2 or higher would have made more sense.
Jeffga, I can tell you my battery powered Off-ramp 4 still sounds better than AMR's own USB input.
I read JA's review a while back... Didn't he measure a true hi-rez signal via the hi-rez DAC, and find that the DAC only resolved to 16 bits??
If so, that makes the AMR a low-rez DAC at best, would it not?
I cannot comment on USB since I use a traditional transport (Theta Compli) -- with a RCA ASI digital cable. In my rig, it is fabulous. Most of my CD's are standard resolution. I can tell you that they have never sounded better. Alison Krauss is in the room. Soundstage & imaging freaky good. I have heard (owned) DACs with more detail but lacked the emotion and "magic" of the 777. I am sure there are better out there but I have not heard one. And at $5K this is a steal (for my setup). In addition, all other DACs I have owned with volume controls either thinned out the sound (sterile) or lacked punch (or not enough volume). Thus I can free up thousands due to eliminating a separate preamp. I have no ties to AMR although Darren (Importer) is an exceptional representative. I will repeat the "break-in" mantra...it is night /day once there are 500 hours on it (compared w/ brand new).
Fla, According to the AMR distributor, JA didn't measure all the parameters in the proper way. Plus, if you really believe in measurement, Benchmark DAC-1 has the best numbers you can get from any modern DAC. I still own my DAC-1 and believe for the money there's no better DAC, but here I am, spending 5 times the money to buy another DAC, expecting better musicality and worse measurements.
350 hours on my DP-777 now, and the sound starts to stabilize, the tubed SPDIF input sounds best so far, the USB input is nowhere close to its own SPDIF or my Off-Ramp4 (with dual clock and battery options) connected to SPDIF. I bought a Macbook Pro and it's slightly better than my optimized PC, but without Off-Ramp4 the AMR has no magic with PC or Mac. I'll report back after 500 hours, but I doubt the USB will ever catch up.

For me, there are only two reasons to buy AMR DP-777: the tubed SPDIF input and the classic DAC. All the other options (HD Dac, filters, volume, USB) are good to have, and works above average Hi-Fi, but not stellar.

Jeffga, as much as I like the DP-777 I won't give it A+ if I am a Stereophile reviewer. The Grace M903 is less of a DAC and more of a headphone amp, and it does the headphone amp job extremely well, I have no problem giving it A+, but will probably move it to the headphone and accessory section, not the DAC section.
Yingtonggao: Like I said, I cannot comment on USB inputs / playback. However, with the BNC input, it is stellar. One other thing, at 350 hours there is still significant sonic improvement that will occur. Mine has 900 hours and continues to improve (although not as much as the sub 500 hour improvements). I agree on the Classic chip setting...it is my preference (95% of my music is Redbook).
Jeffga, good to know the improvements at 900+ hrs. AMR website says 1000 hours, which is long but not as long as my ProAc Tablette Anniversary's one-year break-in. Have you compared the BNC to the AES/EBU? I don't expect any sonic difference but the BNC connectors are not tightly mounted on the rear panel, and it worries me with heavy digital cable dragging/bending the BNC connectors down. Actually you can easily waggle the BNC connectors with your fingers.
I have not tried the AES / EBU due to my transport not having that option (output). My digital cable is quite light so there doesn't seem to be any "pull." I tried a RCA to BNC "hardwired" digital cable (Stealth Varidig) and it was quite good (and did not need the adapter). However, my preference is the ASI Livewire digital cable (using the adapter). The sound is more dense / full...I think this is a system dependent issue.
New to is thread. I have a aurender s-10 to amr dp-777 to parasound Jc-1s to dynaudio c2s (also using dual jl 110 subs). Have about 600 hrs on the amr.

I believe this is an incredible product. Breaking in is for sure a long process, but the sound stage depth, ability to place the instruments/sounds in space and overall dynamics are second to none. I have not spent a bunch of time swapping out diff components / cables (analysis plus throughout)In this system, so not able with much precision to say which component in the chain is imparting exactly what on the sound.

All I can say is this it is working for sure.
Hi fellow a'goner's. I seldom write about equipment but, I must speak concerning the AMR DP 777 which I own. After 35 years in high end and 30 years in digital, I think that I may know a bit. I have own the 1st msb modified magnavov player by Mark S Brassfield, the man himself. the 1st Wadia super dac, the 2000, resolution audio, wadia 9series, esoteric po3 series/ p01-d01 vu with rubidium clock, early Stahl-tek, Latest Concert Fidelity, Ps audio pwd/pwt, Lector, remyo, and countless others, I find the AMR DP777 to be one of the finest dac's that I have ever heard at any price.For some to disparage such a fine company and it's ability is to me unacceptable.You must hear this dac with your own ears. one of the great and well known reviewers came to hear it in my music room, and when the session was over, was so impressed that he offered to by it. AMR is a world leader in high end audio. I call the AMR dp777, WORLD CLASS. Happy listening to all.
Audiofun and Audioezra,
I think some of the other DAC manufacturers should be shaking. The AMR is stunning. I have less than 100 hours on mine and it clearly blows away 2 tops DACs that I used to own -- and others I have auditioned.

Are you using the AMR's volume control?
Sabai
For those who may be interested in pursuing the AMR, can give some details, on how it blows other dacs away

Thanks
Abruce,
Right out of the box the musical landscape is stunning in comparison with Berkeley and EMM CDSA SE. There is a realness to the sound -- tonality, detail, sound stage. This is hard to put into words. The sound simply exudes a sense of continuity and realness. One is not focusing on elements while listening. The music is just flowing naturally with nothing in excess and nothing missing. If you have recent experience with other DACs and then listen to the AMR the difference is startling. The AMR is a superior DAC in my system and IMO.
Dangelod,
I am interested in hearing your listening impressions and review of the Aurender S-10, would you please comment or start a new thread?
Breaking-in a DP-777 now... How wild of a ride is it? Say around the 255 to 275+ hours mark???
I may have an unrelated issue but hard to tell since Im in the middle of the break-in with this unit.
I have listened periodically and it seemed to really be shaping up but I dont recall it sounding this way even out of the box.
Did any of you experience a big dip somewhere near this point???
In one power down for a few mins it went from getting close to that magic I heard from a fully broken-in unit to a lil bass shy, flat soundstage and bright sounding/upper mid glair. Just plain askew and a lil out of balance. Some parts of the sound still seem relatively fine, others not.
Like I said, I may have another issue but hard to tell while in a break-in process, so figured I would check...
Expect a lot of up-n-down before 500 hour mark. If you power it down and up again, give it at least 30 min to get back on the road.
My 500 hours was indeed a rollercoaster ride! At the time of my question above I had a strange screech/pop from my amp at shut-down. So I waited a few mins and powered back up to insure everything was fine and the sound was flat, brittle, no bass. The amp is fine now and it was unrelated to the AMR but confused my perception through the break-in for a good few days...
I have passed 500 hours but the unit is not quite to the magic of my demo experience. if memory serves, my dealer has had his unit since last Nov. or so. And Audiofun pointed to his 800 hour mark. So I must assume that FULL break-in happens around the 800+ (1000?) hour point.
Fine by me! It is very good at this 500 hour point and since I know I heard it even better, there must be more glory to come!

Here are a few of my thoughts during my demo that sent to a few friends. Nothing that really has not already been said though...
This DAC is exquisite! I find it silky and smooth yet robust at the same time. It is punchy when needed and delicate when needed -- it seems to embrace the intended nuances of the recording. It is very natural and organic sounding by nature. Not overly detailed, but all the right detail in all the right places. It just sounds 'real'... Furthermore its soundstage is what I have always wanted! It is larger than I have ever had . It is taller than ever, with great dimensionality. Sounds seem to radiate from all sides of the Ulysses, with music stretching and growing from even the far back corners of the speakers. Sounds will place themselves in space and then bloom and grow in any direction --but all in a very natural and real way.
Tone, timber, natural detail, sound-staging to die for is all there in this unit. At least for me.

It is hard to put this into words, since the unit just sounds so right and natural. Nothing out of place, nothing to little or to much. Just right.

If I was to try to pick it apart... A detail hound may want more. A hound for dynamics and immediacy, may want a more 'PA system/concert like' presentation. Basically, if someone is looking for something in-particular to be slightly exaggerated, they wont find it here.
Just got mine last Friday and it sounds pretty good out of the box. Left it on overnight and this morning it sounds totally different for the better! Waiting for the 500 hours mark......So far its performance well exceeded my expectation!
Grateful

Sorry - been off line for a bit.

I run the aurender aes to amr. By far the superior method - imho

I am very happy with the aurender. My goal was to have the best sounding music server with a very intuitive interface. I am lucky to live near a dealer who carries both aurender and amr.

I have only listened to the aurender and amr together, so hard to determine which "link" is stronger. I do believe the aurender is incredibly capable at doing what a great music server should do - send bits to a dac w/out any jitter and serve up an interface that lets me slide from tune to tune with ease and allow me to rediscover music long lost in the cd stack.

The amr and aurender together are by far the best sounding front end I have ever had.
Not long ago, I auditioned all the new kids on the block. Fully burnt AMR777, Berkley Alpha 2, Weiss 202, PS PWD 2, EMM MA-1 and the Audio Horizons 3.1Sv. Plus some other older and established models.

The result, I just sold my $24k analogue kit, it finally happened, digital equalled and/or bettered my vinyl. I kept the Audio Horizons 3.1Sv, without doubt the most analogue sounding of them all, the others cannot match the musicality, depth and natural separation. If you are looking for a new dac and have the dough, you are committing a serious mistake if you dont audition the Audio Horizons, I believe I have never heard a better dac at any price.
Has any other tried out different power cords with the 777? What is everyone using?
The cord is very important here. AMR has a cord that I will be trying out soon. You might want to try HiDiamond. I have their top PC in series with an SR Hologram D.
Yo2tup,
If you Google the manual you will see the diagrams included. It is easy to do -- just do steps one and 2 for replacing tubes. The only hitch is that you need the exact tools for removal. I found that anything smaller or bigger will not allow you to do the job. If you have one of those small tool sets you should be fine.
Thanks Sabai. I was able to do this and swapped the output tubes for some NOS Amperex tubes, and what significant difference it makes in terms of space, detail, and imaging! Reviews of the DP-777 say its a DAC for people that enjoy musicality and less concerned with details. After swapping the output tubes, it retains the musicality and adds the delicate details!
Hey Audioezra, you said "I have owned the 1st msb modified magnavov player by Mark S Brassfield."
I had one of these also! I had my Magnavox (565? no remote...)
player modded by Mark back in 1987 and first saw the promise of digital. I remember Stereophile wrote a good review (but rated it class C, which caused some controversy. It had lots on nice deep warm bass and pleasant highs and upper mids.
Well now I have an EMM XDS1, but I look fondly back to the MS Brassfield player. This I think is the first mention of I've seen in 20 years.
Yo2tup,
Most welcome. I'd be very interested to know what Amperex tubes you swapped in to replace the stock AMR tubes.
Abruce,
I haven't swapped in any new tubes yet. I am waiting till my DP-777 is fully broken in. I am at about 380 hours. In another 120 hours, once everything opens up, I will have a good basis for comparison when I start to swap.
Audiofun,
I have emailed AMR about this but I don't expect a reply before next week. Perhaps you have some experience here.

I am currently using the R1 input on my DP-777 with a 110-ohm XLR cable. I am using the PWT PerfectWave transport. Although I can step-down the volume I have to use the volume control on my integrated amplifier to reach a maximum level of volume from which to step down using the DP-777 remote. I am getting the Atma-Sphere S-30 tube power amplifier to replace my integrated amplifier. Will I be able to use the volume control on the DP-777 using the R1 input?
Audiofun,
I received a lightning fast reply from Vince at AMR today, Saturday. I am apparently in the clear.

As usual, AMR delivers exemplary customer service. Theirs is among the best I have experienced in the world of high end audio -- which matches the quality of their products in my system.
Sabai, Vince of AMR emailed me this morning asking about it, and I immediately replied that it works fine into the MA-1s here, which enabled him to quickly respond.

Good luck and listening.
Sabai, sorry I am just now looking at this. I get busy with work and actually listening to music LOL and I sometime disappear off the forum for a while. I had my DP 777 upgraded to Deulend VSF Black Cast Caps on the output. Very expensive and very much worth it.
Audiofun, what type & value r the stock caps? Heard one last nite 4 the first time. Very nice. Based on what people r saying here about break in time & the sound I heard, Cutf - Vcaps perhaps? I've had those & the Cast Duelands in a preamp, both r very good, the Cast do everything better...
For anyone who may be interested in a near-mint DP-777, I may be upgrading to the CD-77 soon.
OK, so my AMR DP777 has had the Duelund VSF Black Cast Caps installed by the importer about 5 months ago. At this point I can report that it is a worthy upgrade. The sound is slightly more refined. Not earth shattering as the unit was already amongst the best I have ever heard but they did add a touch more (or should I say less between the performer and listener). Yes they are expensive but we all know how that last 5 or 2% in high-end always ALWAYS costs more money.

The real shocker was the built in volume control (attenuator). This is not related to the caps, but rather purely time. I own and use the Music First Audio Ref and Baby Ref TVC Attenuators, and I love those units. They are simply the finest attenuators I have ever laid ears on. Consequently I have been slow, VERY VERY VERY slow to break in the analog volume control on the DP777. I always thought it was spectacularly transparent.., as transparent (and I mean this) at controlling the volume as is Pure Musics 64 bit digital volume system (which handily whipped the Allnic L3000 which formerly took up residence in my home). But I felt that in the areas of body and fullness it lacked a little and this is where I felt the built in volume control of the Ayon CD5s beat the DP777.

Well, it looks like that was my fault as I broke it in over spurts here and there by mainly bypassing the internal volume control and using my TVC's. Now that the internal volume control has approx 1000 hours on it the story is quite different. The incredible transparency is still there in spades but now it is accompanied by real body and fullness and with just a hint of sweetness. It is not euphonic or colored, but it is full and supremely musical. At this point I would say it beats the Ayon CD5s internal preamp. If you remember my former posts I thought the Ayon CD5s sounded best with my MFA Ref AND the Halcyonics Silencer. The DP777 does sound better with the MFA Ref as well, but as it has run in I found that the Silencer became a hindrance (thus I sold both of them) and I found that the DP777 now had the body and fullness without the slight opaqueness (or heat) engendered by the Ayon CD5s.

The AMR DP777 once fully broken in and that means the line-stage as well will simply beat (badly I might add) most standalone active preamps I have been privy to.., that's a lot of preamps.

This is really cool, it is becoming less expensive all the time to enjoy really really world class audio w/o taking a second mortgage on your home.

Regards...
I wrote in my previous msg

" I found that the DP777 now had the body and fullness without the slight opaqueness (or heat) engendered by the Ayon CD5s.
"

I meant to write

" I found that the DP777 now had the body and fullness without the slight opaqueness (AND heat) engendered by the Ayon CD5s."
The DP-777 is a truly great DAC. I just put mine up for sale on Audiogon. I am selling to upgrade to the one-box CD-77. The AMR family is amazing.
>The DP-777 is a truly great DAC. I just put mine up for sale on Audiogon.

Classic !!!