Any opinions on the AMR Digital Processor 777 Dac?

I am wondering what users are thinking of this dac and if they have compared it to similarly priced units. I haven't seen much information or any professional reviews at this point and I am intrigued by it's functionality.
schw06

Showing 6 responses by jeffga

I have not tried the AES / EBU due to my transport not having that option (output). My digital cable is quite light so there doesn't seem to be any "pull." I tried a RCA to BNC "hardwired" digital cable (Stealth Varidig) and it was quite good (and did not need the adapter). However, my preference is the ASI Livewire digital cable (using the adapter). The sound is more dense / full...I think this is a system dependent issue.
Just tried going direct to the amps (no preamp). I like this better. All the detail / dynamics / soundstage and tonality and better focus. Plus the volume level is more than adequate. Just seems cleaner w/o the usual "thinness" that typically occurs when going DAC direct to amps. Bass is fabulous. I didn't realize how good this DAC truly is until trying this setup. Best DAC I have ever owned (and I have owned a bunch). A true bargain at full $5k price.
Yingtonggao: Like I said, I cannot comment on USB inputs / playback. However, with the BNC input, it is stellar. One other thing, at 350 hours there is still significant sonic improvement that will occur. Mine has 900 hours and continues to improve (although not as much as the sub 500 hour improvements). I agree on the Classic chip setting...it is my preference (95% of my music is Redbook).
I just hooked up my 777 last week. This is after ~550 hours of burn-in. I am using an Audio Valve preamp & Symphonic Line Kraft amps (will be trying the "direct" to amps option this weekend - remove preamp....I want to hear "exactly' what this DAC sounds like). My initial impression is very favorable but too limited to comment extensively. I will say that it is on the "warm' side (tonality). I would say it is a "6" on a scale of 10 (5 neutral..10 too warm). This leads me to believe that it will work best with associated equipment that is not overly warm. I will say that it is extremely dynamic and frequency extension is superb. Imaging is outstanding -- particularly front to back layering. So, first impression is that this is a very good DAC and a superb value at its price. More to come....
I see that Stereophile gave this DAC a Class A rating in this month's Recommended Components. Honestly, I think it should have been A+. Maybe I am missing something but the Empirical Off-Ramp and Grace m903 are A+?? Also, the Weiss 202 & Ayre QB-9? All these are probably good but if they are A+, so is the AMR DP-777...just my opinion. My DP-777 now has 700 hours and I am still running direct to the amps.......simply outstanding.
I cannot comment on USB since I use a traditional transport (Theta Compli) -- with a RCA ASI digital cable. In my rig, it is fabulous. Most of my CD's are standard resolution. I can tell you that they have never sounded better. Alison Krauss is in the room. Soundstage & imaging freaky good. I have heard (owned) DACs with more detail but lacked the emotion and "magic" of the 777. I am sure there are better out there but I have not heard one. And at $5K this is a steal (for my setup). In addition, all other DACs I have owned with volume controls either thinned out the sound (sterile) or lacked punch (or not enough volume). Thus I can free up thousands due to eliminating a separate preamp. I have no ties to AMR although Darren (Importer) is an exceptional representative. I will repeat the "break-in" mantra...it is night /day once there are 500 hours on it (compared w/ brand new).