Any opinions on the AMR Digital Processor 777 Dac?

I am wondering what users are thinking of this dac and if they have compared it to similarly priced units. I haven't seen much information or any professional reviews at this point and I am intrigued by it's functionality.
schw06

Showing 17 responses by sabai

Audiofun and Audioezra,
I think some of the other DAC manufacturers should be shaking. The AMR is stunning. I have less than 100 hours on mine and it clearly blows away 2 tops DACs that I used to own -- and others I have auditioned.

Are you using the AMR's volume control?
Abruce,
Right out of the box the musical landscape is stunning in comparison with Berkeley and EMM CDSA SE. There is a realness to the sound -- tonality, detail, sound stage. This is hard to put into words. The sound simply exudes a sense of continuity and realness. One is not focusing on elements while listening. The music is just flowing naturally with nothing in excess and nothing missing. If you have recent experience with other DACs and then listen to the AMR the difference is startling. The AMR is a superior DAC in my system and IMO.
The cord is very important here. AMR has a cord that I will be trying out soon. You might want to try HiDiamond. I have their top PC in series with an SR Hologram D.
Yo2tup,
If you Google the manual you will see the diagrams included. It is easy to do -- just do steps one and 2 for replacing tubes. The only hitch is that you need the exact tools for removal. I found that anything smaller or bigger will not allow you to do the job. If you have one of those small tool sets you should be fine.
Yo2tup,
Most welcome. I'd be very interested to know what Amperex tubes you swapped in to replace the stock AMR tubes.
Abruce,
I haven't swapped in any new tubes yet. I am waiting till my DP-777 is fully broken in. I am at about 380 hours. In another 120 hours, once everything opens up, I will have a good basis for comparison when I start to swap.
Audiofun,
I have emailed AMR about this but I don't expect a reply before next week. Perhaps you have some experience here.

I am currently using the R1 input on my DP-777 with a 110-ohm XLR cable. I am using the PWT PerfectWave transport. Although I can step-down the volume I have to use the volume control on my integrated amplifier to reach a maximum level of volume from which to step down using the DP-777 remote. I am getting the Atma-Sphere S-30 tube power amplifier to replace my integrated amplifier. Will I be able to use the volume control on the DP-777 using the R1 input?
Audiofun,
I received a lightning fast reply from Vince at AMR today, Saturday. I am apparently in the clear.

As usual, AMR delivers exemplary customer service. Theirs is among the best I have experienced in the world of high end audio -- which matches the quality of their products in my system.
For anyone who may be interested in a near-mint DP-777, I may be upgrading to the CD-77 soon.
The DP-777 is a truly great DAC. I just put mine up for sale on Audiogon. I am selling to upgrade to the one-box CD-77. The AMR family is amazing.
Drubin,
Thanks -- I try to be. In my younger years I used to enjoy baseball, football, hockey and many other sports.
I enjoyed the DP-777 for a while but swapped it for the NAD M51. No looking back.
Karmakuma,

What does the NAD M51 do better? Everything. It is a sleeper -- and a steal. IMO.
Yingtonggao,

You stated "But the AMR's naturalness and delicacy in midrange is really something special." This is exactly what I found with the NAD M51. I would classify it as very musical -- more musical that the AMR in my system. And the NAD M51 has no design issues. Regarding musicality, much is system dependent, IMO.
Jriggy,

I am not running cables in series anymore. No need for this since I bought the Raidhos and switched over to David Elrod cables. But my front end is still in series -- isolation transformer > power conditioner > power regenerator.

I sold my AMR DP-777 for a NAD M51 which will eventually be replaced by an Audio Horizons 3.1.