Am I right for this forum?

I’ve been an Audiogon member for some years now; I remember (fondly) "millercarbon," for example, which will mean something to some of you. And I’ve been a lover of audio equipment since high school—so, for over 50 years (I graduated in 1973). And yet...more and more, I find myself alienated from this forum, even though I do still read it regularly.

I do have what I consider a very "high-fidelity" system. I’ve written a very long account of my "audio journey," complete with many photos, but not "published" it on this site. I’m also a member of our local audio club, which includes several very well-heeled members who have systems costing more than most homes (one of them owns equipment valued at nearly a million dollars, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg: his system is housed in a separate structure purpose-built for it that cost well over a million). I play cello and guitar; my wife plays piano, my daughter piano and violin. We play those instruments in the same room occupied by my main audio system, and so I can attest to the "fidelity" of that system’s reproduction.

And yet...my system cost me less than $3,000 in total. I don’t lust after any particular "upgrade," even though I read reviews and all the many accounts of improvements in "SQ" documented in this forum.

So...am I an "audiophile," or not? Do I belong here, or not?

I’m listening right now to a wonderful bit of Mozart. I also love Tool. And Christy Moore. And Eva Cassidy. And so many others. I agree with Nietzsche: without music, life would be a mistake. But am I an audiophile? Do I belong on this forum?

Any sympathy here? Anyone else feel alienated from the "audiophile community" despite loving the miracle of audio technology?

128x128snilf

I’ve refrained from posting pics since imho most would be bored and unimpressed.... ’SOTA’ only in the State Of That Affordable v. Stuff Of Transient Admiration. ;)

Well said...

I posted only my basic components images... not my acoustic corner which is not esthetical and i never really posted the complete photos of my lost acoustic room with my 100 tuned resonators, just the first images at the beginning which were atrocious and more than unesthetical, this stir the pot of many and i was attacked for a week by a well known seller of tweaks here which never like my homemade motto : dont buy tweaks if you can do them yourself ...

As you my system is SOTA+C  ... 😊 State Of That Affordable and creative ...

@cey I am curious, what are those forums?
I think I would have understood what you are saying in year 1 of being a member here. I now, in year 2, don’t treat this as a group of people interested in a dialog or being nice or helpful to each other. Everyone has their own story and experience and they keep repeating it over and over. It’s not their fault, it’s the nature of this train called audiogon forum. It’s 25% entertainment, 25% annoying noise, 25% education and 25% hifi news - for me. So the question of one belonging here doesn’t make sense to me. It’s like getting on a train to your destination, and you are asking do I belong to this train? You got on the train, (nobody forced you to get on and nobody is pushing you off) so yes you do.

@snilf

Simple question: how often, when listening to music, are you distracted by thoughts about the sound of your system -- especially thoughts tinged with dissatisfaction?

If you really are a "pure" music lover, who doesn’t fixate on sonics, congratulations! The "disease", as @ghdprentice calls it, once contracted, can be tricky to manage.

Perhaps it would be helpful to know most of us are located somewhere on a spectrum, being both music- lovers and sound-chasers in varying proportions and that, furthermore, this balance often changes. For example, when I’m happy with the sound of my system, I naturally tend to focus on music. On the other hand, if I’m experiencing problems with my system and listening is yielding little pleasure, I tend to become absorbed by the drive to address sonic dissatisfaction and seek advice. Of course, some of us are more easily taken over by obsession than others. ;o)

Fantastic post i agree !

It was acoustics experiments that helped me the most...

My system is so well balanced now that i can think only about music...

It is not the best system possible by far ...😊

But any system at any price with minimal synergy when acoustically optimized will give you acoustic ectasy by revealing the original recorded acoustic parameters chosen by the recording engineer... Then your attention are focussed on the live recorded acoustics and music... The gear dont matter and impede nothing...

Could the gear be improved ? Always  for sure, but when done right any system can give you heaven on earth ... Mine does with speakers and headphone for 1000 bucks  ... If i could anybody could...

Simple question: how often, when listening to music, are you distracted by thoughts about the sound of your system -- especially thoughts tinged with dissatisfaction?

If you really are a "pure" music lover, who doesn’t fixate on sonics, congratulations! The "disease", as @ghdprentice calls it, once contracted, can be tricky to manage.

Perhaps it would be helpful to know most of us are located somewhere on a spectrum, being both music- lovers and sound-chasers in varying proportions and that, furthermore, this balance often changes. For example, when I’m happy with the sound of my system, I naturally tend to focus on music. On the other hand, if I’m experiencing problems with my system and listening is yielding little pleasure, I tend to become absorbed by the drive to address sonic dissatisfaction and seek advice. Of course, some of us are more easily taken over by obsession than others. ;o)