Am I right for this forum?

I’ve been an Audiogon member for some years now; I remember (fondly) "millercarbon," for example, which will mean something to some of you. And I’ve been a lover of audio equipment since high school—so, for over 50 years (I graduated in 1973). And yet...more and more, I find myself alienated from this forum, even though I do still read it regularly.

I do have what I consider a very "high-fidelity" system. I’ve written a very long account of my "audio journey," complete with many photos, but not "published" it on this site. I’m also a member of our local audio club, which includes several very well-heeled members who have systems costing more than most homes (one of them owns equipment valued at nearly a million dollars, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg: his system is housed in a separate structure purpose-built for it that cost well over a million). I play cello and guitar; my wife plays piano, my daughter piano and violin. We play those instruments in the same room occupied by my main audio system, and so I can attest to the "fidelity" of that system’s reproduction.

And yet...my system cost me less than $3,000 in total. I don’t lust after any particular "upgrade," even though I read reviews and all the many accounts of improvements in "SQ" documented in this forum.

So...am I an "audiophile," or not? Do I belong here, or not?

I’m listening right now to a wonderful bit of Mozart. I also love Tool. And Christy Moore. And Eva Cassidy. And so many others. I agree with Nietzsche: without music, life would be a mistake. But am I an audiophile? Do I belong on this forum?

Any sympathy here? Anyone else feel alienated from the "audiophile community" despite loving the miracle of audio technology?

128x128snilf

@snilf 

You are absolutely an audiophile in my book. I’ve only been doing this for three years. I figure at my level of knowledge  I’m a junior audiophile at best and will probably stay that way as I just want to enjoy the music and not spend many years swapping out gear. 

Happy listening! 

I like your opinion and experience a lot ... Thats confirmed my more limited one with the gear ...

Thanks

An audiophile is someone who cares and learns about improving the fidelity of playback, no matter what the budget is...even if it’s a 100 bucks. If his budget is small, he hopefully learns trickle down concepts, knows who the max bang 4 buck designers are (the really smart ones) etc...and gets smarter about purchases than the guys with bottomless pockets. He will also figure out room acoustics hopefully! An audiophile is also a guy who has the humility to constantly learn things and doesn’t sit on a pedestal thinking he’s got it all figured out in life.

@danager My question was to …perhaps…get you to compare and contrast the real MC ..label that any way you feel comfortable vs. his online persona… frankly, I have read many of your posts over the time you have been here - they strike me as quite genuine. My apologies are due.. especially as i see your thumb comment….

I find it rude… but i can ignore that going forward. it seems below your intellectual capacity… but i guess… this is the online world… eh ?

Lets clear a few things up, in general post count might be best consider over the duration of membership. It’s not a contest…of course i’ve got gear on loan to others - globally. Yes…. we should do our best to host gatherings - including complete strangers - on average I get that done host or travel 2x a month…. yet i aspire to more….. Like i said, visit…. I’m Summers in Seattle.

Jim