4th of July Music

Thought about this for the bbq. An amalgam that may not displease anyone. Monty Alexander plays the music of Bob.  Concrete Jungle and Stir it Up. Very good recordings also  I think u can’t  go wrong. Suggest others please.  

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xbigwave1

America - Simon & Garfunkel

American Stooge - Mary Chapin Carpenter

American - Lana Del Rey

Living in America - Aztec Two-Step

American Idiot - Green Day

American Woman - The Guess Who

Young Americans - David Bowie

Help Save The Youth Of America - Billy Bragg

American Pie - Don McLean

American Skin 41 Shots - Bruce Springsteen

Gone To America - Steeleye Span

America, I Love You - Archie Gottler, Edgar Leslie

California Dreamin’ - Mamas and Papas

Ripple - Grateful Dead

"4th Of July" was written by Dave Alvin, originally of The Blasters, though briefly a member of X. Then a solo artist, and currently a partner with Jimmie Dale Gilmore.

We get chest-thumping, fatuous patriotism every day on the back of every stupid bumper. I'll be playing these:

'Born in the U.S.A.,' Bruce Springsteen
(a young American kid sent against his will to fight in Vietnam, only to return home to a country arguably as hostile)

'Fortunate Son,' Creedence Clearwater Revival
(the poor were sent to fight and die in Vietnam while the wealthy were spared)

‘Pink Houses,’ John Mellencamp
(“Ain’t that America”)

'This Land Is Your Land,' Woody Guthrie
(“There was a big high wall there that tried to stop me / The sign was painted, said ‘private property’ / But on the backside, it didn't say nothing / This land was made for you and me.”)

‘Independence Day,’ Martina McBride
(“Well she lit up the sky that Fourth of July...Let the whole world know that today is a day of reckoning”)

'American Woman,' The Guess Who
(The 'woman' represents a warmongering Uncle Sam in the era of Vietnam.)

‘American Pie,’ Don McLean
(“Bye, bye, Miss American Pie … them good old boys were drinking whiskey in rye singing ‘this will be the day that I die.’”)