Your reaction to Herve Deletraz’s statement re: hi end and darTZeel

What do you think? I think the audiophile industry (hi end, mid and even low) are in need of serious consolidation. I’ve often scratched my head wondering how do these guys stay in business?

DEAR ALL
To those who want to know the truth, it is quite simple:
For several years now, the extreme High-End market has been in turmoil, with many prestigious brands closing down - fortunately, most of them have been able to restart - due to several factors, of which I will only mention a few.
The uncertain global economic and political climate has drawn attention away from entertainment.
But above all, the race to offer the most expensive product, claiming it’s better, while giving ever larger discounts to end users.
This extreme High-End market, whose noble and honorable purpose at its beginnings was to offer music lovers the best possible reproduction quality, has turned into a mass market, comparable to the souks of Marrakech - which I personally love, but for a different purpose - where the highest discount has become the main focus.
This trend, though not new, is now rotting the extreme High-End market and is destroying the industry.
I, Hervé Delétraz, founder and creator of the darTZeel brand, have decided that this business model no longer aligns with my vision of Extreme High End.
Not only will the darTZeel brand continue to exist, but it will also change its paradigm by focusing on new concepts, which for now will remain undisclosed for obvious reasons.
What you need to know now are the following:
1. darTZeel is more alive than ever, and legendary customer service remains unchanged.
2. Current production of the NHB, CTH, and LHC series will now be made only on demand.
For existing customers: It is strongly advised not to sell off your darTZeel equipment on AudiogoN or elsewhere, because from now on, owning a darTZeel instrument is an investment.
3. A new line of instruments, aimed at a broader audience, is currently under study. Stay tuned!
darTZeel instruments are made in Geneva to last forever. Period.

jpan

Nothing he says is really untrue though after reading that it's hard to say what his plans are. However I can't afford Dartzeel nor have I ever heard any so that's a moot point for me.

IMHO the extreme high end is not in turmoil. The business models of some extreme high end companies are in turmoil. For Herve, those might be one and the same, but for most hobbyists they are completely different things. I find the view myopic and framed to excuse the financial failures of the marque. 

I am not really sure what his point(s) is/are because I find his statements vaguely worded and incomplete.

Vague, but parsing it suggests:

1 His highest-end products will be available now only on a build-to-order basis, with presumed delays necessary for production. No purchase from stock.

2. Some new line of products not yet specified, will be produced for sale at lower prices and will be available as stock items.

3. Buyers he deals with at the high end now appear more expectant of discounts where his pricing model does not afford that. A production model of build-to order avoids this type of interaction. If you want x, you pay y and wait.He isn’t a discounter.

I figured buying his gear was like buying a Riva speedboat. You have to have plenty of cash you are willing to spend, you place an order, pay and wait.