Yamaha NS-500 and NS-1000

How do these speakers hold up and compared to whats offered for $1000.00 or less today.

I'm interested in the smaller two way NS-500.
Anyone familiar with them and how they compare to modern speakers. Please comment.
Thanks
mcgarick
I remember going into the local hifi shop and drooling over both of them when I was in high school. They pop up every now and again here and on ebay. Both models in good shape still command relatively a high price in the used market. But speaker design has improved since their heyday. I would say if you have SS electronics, like rock and like to crank it up, they would still be very enjoyable even today. Unless there is a nostalgia factor you probably would be better off with a newer design.
I've got a pair of Yamaha NS-500Ma's. They were literally my first pair of speakers I've ever owned. I upgraded about 7 years ago and have gone through 3 pairs of different speakers since, but I still have the Yamaha's. Haven't tried playing them recently, but I was looking at trying to price them to see what they're worth. Funny that there's some reasonable discussion about them online.

I can't venture an opinion on sound just yet. My current rig has Quad 22L2's powered by an MF A5 Integrated. Fair to say the Yamaha's probably won't hold up in comparison...
I agree that NS1000 can still hold their own against current manufacture speakers. If you pair them with top clas SET tube amp they can be literally stunning.

Most ppl remember them as sounding harsh. This is not true. They sounded harsh 'cos of the SS amps they were connected to. Pair them with a high quality SET amp and you will get a jaw dropping expirience.
I'm wondering How they would be with the Accuphase I have,it's smooth solid state.
My NS-1000 sound incredible with an Accuphase P-300 and Accuphase P-600. I am not sure about the idea of pairing them with a SET tube amp since the NS-1000 is relatively "inefficient." I would try it with a 2A3 SET amp but am afraid of damaging the speakers...anyone else care to opine on this?

Cheers
Chris
Takasaki City, Japan
I own a pair of NS-500M`s and bought them new in the early 80`s and still have them. I hav`nt used them in years but I do have a question. What is the differance between the 500M`s and the NS-75T`s. When you see them they look the same maybe one is an older model ? Anyway I love my 500`s and they do sound good with at least 200 watts/ch. They lack bass but nothing a good sub can`t solve.
Thanks, Bob
My only experience with the NS-500 was with a dealer demo back in the late seventies. They were powered by the legendary Luxman MB 3045 tube monoblocks and the sound was gorgeous! Perhaps lacking a bit in the bottom end but incredible soundstage and dynamic life. It was an extremely seductive presentation.
I've had a pair of NS-500s since ~1980. While I've owned lots of speakers (before and since), these remain among my favorites for 2-channel listening, because of their absolutely terrific soundstaging (stunning breadth and depth and pinpoint localization in 3D space), neutral midrange and sweet but extended top end (that beryllium dome tweeter is a MONSTER, in the best sense...weighs more than many midranges! SWEEEEEET, delicate, nuanced, extended, all at once!) I've not heard ANYTHING comparable, given size and driver-configuration similarities.

As mentioned, however, they will pass along flaws in the amplification stage (along with flaws in the source materials and their playback equipment). The low end is a little lacking compared to some modern speakers, although this is merely relative, as the NS-500 presentation, without other A/B reference(s) is compelling across a reasonable bandwidth. They are VERY balanced. That's why I've been unable to part with them for three decades!

If you get a chance to audition a pair in great shape, I think you'll be impressed. Mine, unfortunately, are now relegated to a closet, due to a recent move...but I STILL won't part with them (I won't be living here forever).
I've had a pair of NS-500s since ~1980. While I've owned lots of speakers (before and since), these remain among my favorites for 2-channel listening, because of their absolutely terrific soundstaging (stunning breadth and depth and pinpoint localization in 3D space), neutral midrange and sweet but extended top end (that beryllium dome tweeter is a MONSTER, in the best sense...weighs more than many midranges! SWEEEEEET, delicate, nuanced, extended, all at once!) I've not heard ANYTHING comparable, given size and driver-configuration similarities.

As mentioned, however, they will pass along flaws in the amplification stage (along with flaws in the source materials and their playback equipment). The low end is a little lacking compared to some modern speakers, although this is merely relative, as the NS-500 presentation, without other A/B reference(s) is compelling across a reasonable bandwidth. They are VERY balanced. That's why I've been unable to part with them for three decades!

If you get a chance to audition a pair in great shape, I think you'll be impressed. Mine, unfortunately, are now relegated to a closet, due to a recent move...but I STILL won't part with them (I won't be living here forever).
Hello to all of the Yamaha fans. I have just picked up a mint pair of ns 200ma speakers, and a mint pair of ns 200 speakers, all within the last 3 weeks. I would like to get replacment drivers for both. Does anyone out there know where i might find good quality OEM drivers for my new speakers. Thanks in advance.