Wilson Audio Haters

I've always wondered why there are so many people out there, that more than any other speaker manufacturer, really hate the Wilson line. I own Maxx 2's and also a pair of Watt Puppys. They are IMHO quite wonderful.

Why does Wilson get so much thrashing?

128x128crazyeddy
@soundsrealaudio                                                                                                                                                                                                             It is a lot easier than that. Just sell your 2D audio set and go on a nice trip with your partner.
<< sigh >> So it’s a little over 1 millisecond. That’s absolutely typical behavior for a 3 way system. If your claim is that it’s impossible to make realistic speakers without being time co-incident, then I’m afraid there are thousands of examples that say otherwise, and very little proof that it is subjectively superior. It’s fine if you like it, or feel you must have it but kind of a ridiculous claim to make that this should have the universal appeal that it has to you, or that we should all bow down to your pet spec.

Like it or not, the single most important and perceptible difference between speakers is frequency domain. I’m not saying it’s the only one, but it is big for everyone. In that dimension a lot of the top speakers have really terrible, but oddly similar, responses. Current media has tried to train the audophile into believing these ragged sounding speakers are the cream of the crop, and Wilson seems to be going along with them.

Having said that, here is the Monitor Audio Platinum. Look at how much smoother it's time domain performance is. By better I mean smoother, not narrower.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/monitor-audio-platinum-pl300-ii-loudspeaker-measurements#bRxtFG4H...

Their tweet sucks above 10kHz though, severe let down for otherwise superbly designed speaker.

Yo "3D" Bo

Most modern systems should demonstrate 3-D. There is nothing special about it, plain physics and engineering (too bad 2D audiophiles are not getting this) . There is no special characteristics/parameters of the individual equipment that can demonstrate this (in the broad sense of the term). I do understand your statement about system synergy, however ... one can do million years of research "blindly", and will not understand what lies beyond, or right in "front of them". With proper knowledge and understanding of human physchoacoustics and engineering it’s very simple as to what "will" work......

best,
VJ
p.s. Where is the Audiogon knowledge base ... when you need it ;)
"Where is the Audiogon knowledge base.."

Lots of good knowledge here. Look deeper, even above on this very page, excepting one.

Dave
OK guys, since we’re talking "3-D" sound. One thing to point out is that it’s a known trick that suppressing speakers around 2.4kHz helps greatly enhance this. It’s not natural. I personally don’t hear live music or acoustic instruments this way.

But again, buy what you like to hear! Not what is natural or measures well or what others like. :)

Best,

- E