Will fine tune adjustments with protractor help with "brightness?"

Hello everyone-

I've had my TT setup now for 2 months. System looks like this:

Piega C10 Ltd speakers
McIntosh 402 amp
Technics SL1200GR TT
Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE II phono pre
MoFi Master tracker cart

My ears may be deceiving me, but I swear my vinyl cuts sound slightly brighter at the beginning of the album and soften a little as we near the middle. I set the cartridge by using the little white piece provided by Technics and it sounds great. I've been told by reliable sources that a good protractor, maybe even  Feickert Universal Protractor can help me get even more out of my carts. 

Would enjoy hearing your thoughts on this. Thanks! Brent

128x128knollbrent

Showing 6 responses by avanti1960

brightness and MM cartridges can be a function of the capacitance in the phono cables from turntable to preamp, vertical tracking angle, vertical tracking force and the cartridge characteristics and break-in.  it can also be affected by the alignment.  
you have the mofi ultratracker which is made by Audio Technica and has a microline stylus.  
AT MM carts can be bright sounding.  As long as it isn't distorted, it could be a characteristic of the cartridge.  
They are also sensitive to VTA.  If your VTA is "level" you can try lowering the arm a mm or two in half mm increments and listen closely.  
misalignment usually causes distortion, not necessarily brightness.  the technics gauge cause a slightly distorted sound for me- the mint tractor alignment eliminated the distortion.  you can estimate the mint alignment by pushing the stylus out from the overhang by about 2mm or so but still centered.  
also make sure your phono cables are as short and low capacitance as possible.  I use the low capacitance ART cables sold by KAB , 0.5 meter and never had a brightness issue with MM carts including the ortofon 2M black.  
lastly brightness can be a function of break-in hours on the suspension and stylus.  After ~ 200 hours or so the suspension weakens slightly allowing better bass and the stylus round off a little and sound smoother.  
good luck!  
@chakster 
 The Technics alignment gauge does not make it as easy to be accurate with alignment as a precision protractor does.  Especially sighting the cantilever to be parallel with the gauge because the gauge does not have any runway lines.  I wish it did.  
In addition the alignment "flavor" that Technics gives us it the Stevenson alignment which tends to favor the middle to inner grooves- at the expense of the outer grooves. 
I personally prefer the Lofgren alignment which sounds much better in the outer grooves and overall IMHO.  The mint best tractor has a longer overhang consistent with a lofgren alignment.  I love the sound of my 'GR with the mint tractor alignment.  
@erichsch 
i have read that technics tables use a stephensen alignment and assumed that the mint best tractor was lofgren because of the increased overhang compared to the technics gauge.  whatever flavor either truly is, the mint alignment sounds better and the protractor makes it easier to be accurate.  
@ericsch 
again, i just guessed that the mint protractor was lofgren because it has slightly more overhang than the technics gauge~ 2mm.  
if Yip's design is true stevenson, then technics is something different.  
Regardless the mint sounds better and perfect actually to my ears.  
Of course the Technics engineers know what they are doing wth respect to tonearm geometry and alignment.  However it is a proven fact that different flavors of alignment have different distortion characteristics over the arc of the record surfaces- it becomes more of a choice and preference thing.  
However where the Technics engineers failed is by not improving the accuracy of the overhang gauge.  Adjusting the cantilever so it is parallel with the gauge is a guess at best.  There should be runway lines on the gauge.  
bottom line- it is more accurate to align a cartridge and cantilever with a proper gauge that lines up with the spindle.  
The mint tractor alignment sounds better- whether it be through "flavor" or allowing better accuracy (or both).