Will a tube amp work well on Revel f208?

Hi,
Two different stereo store salesmen both told me to use a tube integrated amp (primaluna evo 400, or Ayon V) on my Revel f208.  I live in an apartment, so I rarely listen at concert levels (rock,pop,80's,modern music,etc) ,  But due to that speaker's impedance swings, it's in the 4 ohm region a lot  and needs a 4 ohm capable amp.  I was told by someone else that the Revel f208 likes high current, (Which won't be found in a tube amp?).  I was considering something like Hegel or anthem integrated STR before the prima Luna evo 400  was recommended.  Can  Somebody with actual knowledge chime in so I am not at the mercy of salesman or misinformation?  The speakers are revel  f208 and I'd like to stick with an integrated and stream for simplicity (I have node 2i)Thanks!
128x128labguy

Showing 1 response by verdantaudio

A good tube amp with a big transformer will work and you need to take into account SPL and Impedance when considering an amp.  I would be cautious of using a PrimLuna evo 400 with those.  I had demo'd B&W 805 D3s with a PrimaLuna integrated and it struggled with them.  

Those F208s like current and will sound their very best when driven with authority like all Revel Speakers.  

If you are looking for a tube integrated that will handle those well at a modest price, your best bet would be the Cronus Magnus from Rogue or maybe the SLI-100 from Cary.  They will give you a bit more oomph but both are ultralinear KT 120 or KT150 based and will sound more SS than you would think.  

You might be better off with a hybrid if you want a more tubeish sound.  Take a look at the Rogue Pharaoh which is a hybrid Class -D with a tube input stage.  Assume you are going to roll in NOS tubes which will be an extra ~$250 to maximize sound but that would be a brilliant combo and would handle the Revels quite well.  I own a power a hybrid power amp from Rogue and used it to drive Performa3 M105s for a long stretch and it is a great combo.

If you are looking for more refinement, the AVM Evolution A5.2 would be a brilliant match.  Read the review in Positive Feedback.  It is a more refined amp than the Rogue though it is almost 2x as expensive.  

Full disclosure, I am an AVM dealer, I have no relationship with Rogue, Revel, Cary or PrimaLuna, just a former happy owner of Rogue and Revel.