Why do speakers improve with more powerful amps?

So, if I have a solid state amp that more than adequately powers a speaker, why do people recommend a larger more powerful amplifier to improve things?

Why do more powerful amplifiers impact speaker sound quality in a favorable way? Is it because more power is reaching the speakers? Mid and Tweeter drivers I was told receive a reduced signal versus bass drivers which receive relatively more power via crossovers.  All for the purpose of balancing a signal going to the various drivers.

jumia

Not having to deal with the interaction between driver impedance and passive filter network gives the designer of an active crossover/equalizer much greater freedom and control to develop a superior product.

As some one who can do both, this statement is not always true. Depends. For certain, the digital/active domain makes time delay easy, which therefore makes high order, symmetric crossovers a lot easier to accomplish on a flat baffle speaker.

@Phusis

This shows how easily it is to ignore the Facts of the subject and keep on trying to reinforce the idea that clipping is the ONLY place that headroom affects. Clipping is only a minor concern is is the LEAST of the actual AUDIPOPHILE reasons for having overhead.
Yes you can power a pair of headphones with a couple of well designed watts of power but you won’t be powering a set of Maggie’s with only that. You are mixing apples with oranges IF you think there is not a high level of sound quality in reference here. Or as I said before would you expect audiophiles totally ignore ALL of the statistics published about the Amps they are discussing or buying.
IF you take a lower powered Amp, say 10 watts, running at .5% distortion and run it at 5 watts what is your distortion level compared to a high powered Amp, say 100 Watts and run it at 5 watts output, with .5%. That is not .5% at 5 watts but IS .5% at the capacity of the amp, or at a designated % of output. With a higher wattage capacity you can run the distortion right down to the floor. That is just one of the factors to consider.

Possibly if I make a comparison to mechanical engineering. A simple street car capable of 150 HP putting out 100 HP is going to be under far more stress and pushing harder on every last component in it than a muscle car capable of 500HP putting our 100HP. The muscle cars is barely idling and not under ANY stress.

@carlsbad2 

You listen to the first watt.  If it sucks, you don't need 299 more of them.”

this could have broad implications.  I’m going to file this in my “ life lessons “ folder.

thanks for the post.

Both higher wattage and lower wattage with respective lower and higher sensitivity speaker combinations each render unique sonic results. Just as both tube and solid state (or then combination thereof) extend that further.

Maybe a closer focus and discussion over quality power supplies and current delivery would be more relevant than this endless sensitivity argument.