Who to trust when buying vintage ss ?

A co worker wants to start getting into audio. I suggested an harmon kardonn 670 as a starter. Any suggestions for trustworthy online sellers of this sort?

Thanks

T

128x128tonydennison
Post removed 

Cambridge Audio is another option.

I wouldn’t outrule Fosi or Topping if features match your needs on Amazon. Easily returned if does not work out or cheap enough to keep around as a spare.

Active speakers to replace both speakers and amp another easy option.  Vanatoo Transparent One actives are pretty close to your budget range and are hard to beat for their size.  Read up on these online. 

jasonburne71+

magister+

I recommend Echo Audio, Portland Or, and Hawthorne, Seattle.  Both sell used and new and repair as well.

Echo has upgraded power caps and signal path caps in a Pioneer SA9500II (a part of one of three systems I use regularly).  Echo has also recapped an Accuphase  E202 and a Macintosh 6100.  All integrated amps 40-50 years old and all extremely reliable and sound-worthy.

I currently run the three systems through ADS 910's, purchased from Hawthorne as well as ADS 710's and Klispch Forte II's.  The ADS models are 40-45 years old, the Klipsch Fortes slightly younger.

So vintage gear has been good to me and I highly recommend that path.

These are all my "keepers" after auditioning many of the other noteworthy Amos of the era.  They were reconditioned when I decided to keep them and have given me only pleasure and no expense since.

I also agree with the NAD recommendation, particularly the PE Power Envelope models.

Nostalgic? Yes.  Quality sound that meets my expectations at a relatively low cost.

jasonburne71+

magister+

I recommend Echo Audio, Portland Or, and Hawthorne, Seattle.  Both sell used and new and repair as well.

Echo has upgraded power caps and signal path caps in a Pioneer SA9500II (a part of one of three systems I use regularly).  Echo has also recapped an Accuphase  E202 and a Macintosh 6100.  All integrated amps 40-50 years old and all extremely reliable and sound-worthy.

I currently run the three systems through ADS 910's, purchased from Hawthorne as well as ADS 710's and Klispch Forte II's.  The ADS models are 40-45 years old, the Klipsch Fortes slightly younger.

So vintage gear has been good to me and I highly recommend that path.

These are all my "keepers" after auditioning many of the other noteworthy amps of the era.  They were reconditioned when I decided to keep them and have given me only pleasure and no expense since.

I also agree with the NAD recommendation, particularly the PE Power Envelope models.

Nostalgic? Yes.  Quality sound that meets my expectations at a relatively low cost.

I agree with others who say that "vintage" is high risk.  Also, technology has progressed so far and so fast in the last decade (dacs, class d, computer designed speakers) I would not recommend a newby start 10-20 years behind the curve.

For budget try a raspberry streamer with an smsl su1 dac, an AIYIMA A07 amp, and any "bookshelf" size speaker that is easy to drive but not harsh or honky horn.

For simplified budget a NAD 3020 new version class d amp with any of the top 10 bookshelf size speakers.  For simple streamer one of the decent chinese streamers like wiim mini or audioengine.

For high end and simplicity from the get-go get one of the top powered monitors with any high end streamer.