which nad amp sholuld I get?

Category: Amplifiers

I like NAD sound and want to get a new 70w-120w nad power or integrated amplifier. (speakers have 89db sensitivity)

Currently I have 70w amplifier, 60w was not enough for me.
Should I get 320bee, this post says it very powerful:
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?ramps&1038674345&read&3&4&
?
or c270, or maybe the older 218, 214?

I don't turn volume control past 10 o clock.
samuellaudio
If 60 watts isn't enough, 70 or even a 100 won't be either. You should at least double the power or get something with a lot of current.
Well, I guess you have to put both your amp and your speakers into the equation. If your present setup is crapping out on orchestral peaks, you have a headroom problem that won't go away with only double the amplifier power. You will need more like six to ten times more.

(This is because of the dynamic range of an orchestral performance. Crescendos and tutti can pack a real wallop. For a peak that doubles volume for more than an instant, your amp needs to put out ten times the watts.)

B&W speakers are not known for their efficiency, and bookshelf designs in general tend to be a tad more power-hungry than larger ones. The solution may be to find a more powerful amp AND get more efficient speakers.
Samuel:

It must get really loud in your listening room. I understand what Tobias is getting out in suggesting an amp that puts out 200 wpc or greater ... but that just sounds like overkill in a 11 X 12 room ... but the science requires that to double the volume you must double the power. I am assuming that your speakers are in B&W's 600 DM series, which are something like 88/89 db efficient and that you are looking for an amplifier in a complementary price range (stop me at any point if I am wrong).

If your current amp allows you to use its preamp section separate from the power amp and given that you like the NAD house sound, maybe the way to go is to try NAD's C272 power amp @150 wpc. If you can't go do the pre/power split, the C372 integrated amp @ 150 wpc may be the ticket.

Do you have a local NAD dealer who will allow you to try a home audition?

Regards, Rich
Thanks, I am not wondering about power,but do all nad amps sound the same? I will go listen.