Which HDMI cable for I2S?

I'm currently using an inexpensive 12 inch long Monoprice cable to connect my dac to a Gustard U18 interface. Honestly, it sounds quite good.

I don't want to buy a pricey cable, but maybe something by DH Labs, etc. 

There are some deals on older cables that meet HDMI 1.3, 1.4, or 2.0 standards. I know these standards are for video. Would all of them work for I2S digital audio? Would the higher standard HDMI 2.1 be better? 

sls883

I run Audioquest Cinnamon cause they are built well and look cool. Build quality is what counts WRT to HDMI cables. A $5 "Wal-Mart" cable will sound no different than $500 HDMI cable. But the $5 Dollar cable will fall apart over time. The $50 - $500 shouldn't !

I bought a DH Labs cable when I first got my DAC and server.  I then bought a Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy CryoSilver Reference cable.  Both my server and DAC have 2 i2s connections, so it was super easy to A/B them.  I'm a bit of a cable skeptic, but there was a noticeable difference in sound quality between the two with the RAL having a clear edge. 

Every I2s cable I have has a different sound. More power to the people who can't hear a difference.

@big_greg

Did you do any a/b comparisons between a cheap cable like the Monoprice and the DH Labs? 

These are some of my favorite cables, they just work, and do not break the bank. Plus made in the USA.

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/hdmi-cables/hdmi-cable.htm