Where next from gamut d200i?

Hi, 

I am after some opinions on where to go next with my system, I am based in the UK and I am finding it increasingly difficult to demo products, hence I am reaching out to this community for some guidance on what to shortlist!

My system currently consists of an Aqua la scala mk2 cdt, in to a chord mscaler, into a chord Dave with a Sean Jacobs DC4 power supply. I have the Dave in preamp mode feeding a gamut d200i via xlr. I have audio physic Virgo iii speakers, they are the latest model and are only about 6 months old. My power is sorted with a dedicated audio fuse board, feeding an AQ niagara 5000. I am also running dual rel s3 subs. (My cabling is a mixture of black rhodium cantata and tellurium q silver diamond)
I am not sure where to go next, introduce a preamp? Upgrade the power amp, or jump to a high end integrated, maybe a Diablo 300?  I really enjoy a holographic sound stage and that’s what I am chasing, but I also want very fast and textured bass which is why I am nervous about a tube preamp. I guess I am wondering would a new amp be a significant upgrade over a d200i, it’s quite old but still seems to be well regarded.

thanks

theburbster1

I would keep the Gamut amp.

While it can be difficult to demo, working with a local dealer can be helpful, and some provide demo units you can hear in your home.

Another way to try some tube preamps is buy and try. I have bought two or three used items, done a comparison, kept the one I preferred, and sold the others. It is more capital intensive, but if you buy at a good price point the cost is minimal

Thanks, sounds like a good idea, I do have an opportunity to buy a used prima Luna evo400 preamp at a reasonable price, like you suggest could buy and sell on if I don’t like. 

Just to add, my local dealer is excellent, but they have become a little more limited in the brands they offer. I have home demoed the latest chord ultima power amp, technically very good, fast and articulate, but just not for me, flatter soundstage in my setup and a little too analytical for my tastes. 

It's my opinion that a top flight preamp could improve the sound of your already excellent system.  I see that you are using CDs as your source, so have you considered a streaming device.  You could go with either a stand alone unit or one built in to a preamp or integrated.  As an alternative you could keep everything as is and buy 500-1,000 new CDs.  That's a few years of serious listening.  Good luck!

Thank you.

I do have an antipodes cx and ex streaming setup, with all the other paraphernalia, network switch Ethernet cables etc, but I prefer my cd transport, just personal taste, I know plenty people who swear by a sever/streaming 

any recommendations regarding a preamp? 

Keep the Gamut amp! It is indeed excellent! Any other amp would be a sideways move at best! 

Post removed 

I'm of the opinion that the only way to better the Gamut is to jump all the way to a CTH-8550 MKII.

Only if you REALLY have to scratch that itch.

I agree with steakster that cables make a big difference, and you can start with a better power conditioner and power cords. 

Using the preamp section of your DAC.  No.  Just...no.  Preamps are one of the most important components in any system, and I fully believe that’s where your limitation lies.  Given what you’re looking for, I’d search out the best used Audio Research pre — preferably with the SE designation — I could find and I think you’ll be in absolute audio heaven.  Best of luck. 

Thanks all for your suggestions. I think I will stick with the gamut for the time being and explore the preamp avenue.  Did have a look at the dartzeel stuff, probably too big a jump financially for me at the moment, but definitely something to aspire to.

I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I had been using a Ayon CD5S tube CD player as a preamp and DAC (for which it was highly rated) to my Gamut D200i and Salk Soundscape 8 speakers. I had always felt I wasn't getting the best out the amp and speakers with that setup, so when the Ayon's Philips CD-Pro2 transport died I used it as an excuse to get a VAC Renaissance Mk V preamp. The VAC made a dramatic and immediate improvement even while I continued to use the Ayon as a DAC. Last year I added Holo May KTE which took the system to a whole new level. So at least in my experience, the Gamut does benefit from higher quality front end components. I should also note that I did try with several different interconnects after adding the Holo May and ultimately went from single ended to XLR, but the cables had a minor impact compared to adding a quality preamp and DAC.

Terry

Thanks Terry, the Holo May has had quite a lot of press recently, I’m glad you are enjoying it. From my experience I do find the gamut to perform better when using its balanced inputs.