Where is the significant point of diminishing returns on hi-end turntable?

For those that don’t know me I am newish to this game. Yes, I believe this chase for perfection in sound reproduction is a game. There are endless variables affecting the sound of every system and 100x that in opinions on each of these variables. I love cool $hit as much as the next guy but I am looking for an analog rig and I keep getting drawn into the seemingly endless "what about this option that costs tons more?". I started with a $6 to $10K budget and now I am considering a $25K setup (Table, cart and phono stage) after talking to a local retailer. I will be blunt, I want to be that guy in the Memorex ad from the 80’s that is getting blown away by his system (my impression is he is overwhelmed by the amazing sound coming from that speaker not the volume). Now that I have acquired some pretty descent stuff I am spending 15 plus hours each week listening and really enjoying this hobby. I don’t want to have any regrets and just be marginally satisfied with my setup but where do I draw the line? Back to my initial question; what is a reasonable amount to spend on an analog setup to achieve the best bang for the buck? I may be somewhat unique in that I don’t want to constantly be upgrading my equipment, I just want to buy great products the first time that are very satisfying and spend hours listening to great music. I don’t want to be the guy always chasing the next great thing.
128x128mmporsche
The hard acrylic mat
          The hard acrylic mat represents a significant improvement with respect to the original Oracle Groove Isolator that was used by Oracle until the end of the 80’s. The acrylic mat is machined with a slightly concave surface which helps flattening of the record more efficiently when using the Oracle record clamp. The acrylic has very similar vibrational energy transmission properties than the vinyl used in records which minimizes its contribution to sound coloration. Listening tests have shown better results in transient response, stereo image and provided more control and detail in the low frequencies.

http://www.oracle-audio.com/parts-upgrades

Scroll almost to the bottom. It's reassuring that you were probably referring to the hard rubber one I have.

If anyone out there has tried the new acrylic Oracle mat; please let us know how much of an impact it made!

Point of diminishing returns for turntables is approx. $400. Buy a used Rega, early SOTA Comet or a new Pro-ject Debut. Stick a $100 cart on it (Ortofon Red is a good choice), and buys lots of records — staying well away from the sappy crap most audiophiles listen to. Enjoy.
balthus makes an interesting observation.

I was reminded of this earlier this year when I was in Fredericton, NB visiting my daughter and decided to check out a used vinyl shop downtown.

I found a copy of Crime of the Century by Supertramp that looked in decent shape. I had the guy spin it up on their turntable (Rega & Red 2M). It sounded very good on the store’s system.

Once I got it home and cleaned it, I put it on and holy crap! I couldn’t believe the noise!? It’s unplayable on my system (modified Roksan Xerxes, modified RB300 arm, London Decca Super Gold cart, & Croft RIAA phono stage).

Some days I wonder if I wouldn’t be better off having a less resolving analog system?
Post removed