Where Do I Go from Here?

As I neared my 75th birthday, I decided that it was time for my “end game” audio system. Thus, for the past 2-1/2 years, I have slowly and carefully upgraded my sources, my amplification, and my cabling – with very pleasing results. At this time, I have:

Digital – Bricasti M19 SACD transport and M21 DAC; Shunyata Sigma V2 Ethernet and DH Labs Air Matrix Cryo analog interconnect cables.

Analog – Technics SL-1200G turntable w/Ortofon headshell; Hana SL cartridge; Cardas Clear Cygnus phono cable; PS Audio Stellar phono amplifier; Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect cables.

Amplification – Theta Digital Casablanca V preamplifier; McIntosh MC611 mono amplifiers (L, C, & R); Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables and Eclipse 8 analog interconnects.

Currently, I own Revel Ultima Studio (L & R) and Voice (center) loudspeakers as well as two SVS SB-16 subwoofers. I purchased all three Revel speakers in 2004, and they have served me well for the past 20 years. Except when listening to multi-channel SACD for watching Blu-ray concerts, I only use my main left and right speakers. My media room has four walls and a door; its size is around 6,000 cubic feet.

What I have been wrestling with is whether, given my other equipment (which I have no intent on replacing), I should buy new speakers and, if so, which should I consider. Recently, for example, I listened to a pair of Rockport’s Avior IIs, albeit using source components and amplifiers different than mine. They seemed perhaps better in some regards, but not so much so as to make a compelling case to purchase them as an upgrade. Another friend, who just acquired his PS Audio FR30 speakers, is urging me to consider buying a pair of the FR30s.

There certainly are numerous speaker lines out there. Consequently, I decided to post my “dilemma” here and invite others to provide their suggestions (ideally with their reasoning). My absolute top budget is $50K. However, this purchase would be funded by my retirement savings, and I certainly would prefer spending less. Also, maybe the better course is to keep my Revels and be happy and content with what I already have.

Many thanks for your reading this entire posting.

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjmeyers

I'm not quite as old (69) but I have had similar thoughts. I'm running a pair of Thiel CS6 speakers with Krell amplification. I have been to 3 audio shows and I have thus far concluded that to significantly better my system I'm going to have to spend in the neighborhood of six figures. A few speakers have stood out (MBL 101E, Von Schweikert Ultra 11, Sonus Faber Aida plus a few others) but for the most part my Thiels sound about as good as anything I've heard. I've only heard the Revel Ultima Studios once but I would put them in the same league.

My point is that I don't think you are going to do significantly better than your Revels without spending big bucks. The stress of hunting down a new pair of speakers that you realistically can't demo in your home and taking the chance that they are not a significant improvement (or maybe they would be worse) is not worth it. If you had $10 million in Invidia stock then what the heck? Live a little. But with the situation you have described this sounds like an endeavor that will have a lot of consternation and could easily end badly.

https://cdn.jpmorganfunds.com/content/dam/jpm-am-aem/global/en/images/insights/2024-gtr/widescreen/Slide4.PNG?v=1718120702953

This graph is for a 65-year-olds chances, so not exactly the 75 I quoted. Now, you can say that its not that big a chance, to which I would say, I like the odds.

deep_333

At your advanced age of 75, you should probably give more money to your grandson for a house down payment, his audio rig, etc and not spend all your cash on yourself.

What? At some "advanced age" we should limit what for many of us has been a lifetime pursuit? That's BS.

Perhaps @deep_333 is waiting for his elders to fund his adult future. That's quite common with kids today.

Perhaps @deep_333 is waiting for his elders to fund his adult future

I would prefer to inherit or win or find money much rather than working for it. (Hasn't worked out yet, but one can always dream)