Whats on your turntable tonight?

For me its the first or very early LP's of:
Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1
Oliver Nelson - "More Blues And The Abstract Truth" [MCA/Impulse! LP reissue '64/8?]

Max Roach - "Deeds Not Words" [Riverside stereo LP reissue '58/'68]

"Murder, Inc." [Time Series 2000 stereo LP '60] Large band crime jazz

Barney Kessel - "Barney Kessel's Swingin' Party At Contemporary" [Contemporary stereo LP reissue '63/'7?, rec. '60] Um, like the title sez...

The Kinks - "Face To Face" [Reprise mono LP '66]

The Fallen Angels - S/T [Roulette stereo LP '67]

The Sopwith Camel - "Hello Hello" [Kama Sutra LP reissue '67/'73]

Van Dyke Parks - "Song Cycle" [Edsel LP reissue '86, orig. WB '68]

Julian Bream - "The Golden Age of English Lute Music" [RCA Victor Soria Series mono LP '61] The playing's great, alas if only the recording were as swell the deluxe packaging
05-30-11: Rushton
Wonderful records, Al!
The Vivaldi is a Peter McGrath (recording engineer) marvel.
Thanks, Rushton. Yes, they are wonderful indeed! I'm gradually working my way through the best sounding recordings in my collection that I haven't listened to since prior to the several major system upgrades I've made in the last couple of years.

Best regards,
-- Al
Penderecki: Dies Irae, Polymorphia, De Natura Sonoris; performed by the Cracow Philharmonia Orchestra, Chorus, conducted by Czyz, with soloists Woytowicz, Ochman, Ladysz(Philips PHS 900 184, M7/1). Really powerful and interesting music. It's an excellent recording, but unfortunately my copy's in very rough shape.

Stravinsky: Concerto for Piano and Wind Instruments, Capriccio for Piano and Orchestra; performed by the L'Orchestre da la Suisse Romande, conducted by Ansermet, with soloist Magaloff (London STS 15048, Orange-silver label; reissue of CS 6035, no SXL pressing). Old Ernie does a great job on this record--at least I think so, since I'm no expert. One thing's for sure: soundwise, it's pretty much a demostration disc. I'd love to hear the original CS, but it's hard to imagine it would be significantly better than this STS.
Thurston Moore - "Demolished Thoughts". Sonic Youth front mans new solo record on Matador, Produced by Beck. kind of a Sonic Youth version of Beck's Sea Change LP. Great music, great recording. Unfortunately my copy has a few nasty right channel clicks and pops in the first song. Bummer. On Matador.

Wild Beasts - "Smother". On the Domino label. Fantastic, original music and phenomenal recording with great bass. Reminds me of Talk Talk records. One of my favorites of the year so far and comes on 180g virgin vinyl.
Listening with friends yesterday...

Alternate performances of the 4th movement of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, an interesting traversal.

Widor, Toccata from Organ Symphony No. 5, Murray, Telarc 5036

Davis, Kind of Blue

Railroad Sounds, Audio Fidelity LP from 1958

Ice Station Zebra Soundtrack, Michel Legrand

Porcupine Tree - not sure which album but dates from sound tracks created circa 1993 and remixed and re-released in 2004.