What to do with a large collection

I have thousands of CDs and records and am looking to get rid of most of them. i can’t possibly listen to them in my remaining years and my wife doesn’t need them. CDs, it turns out, are not very viable these days, and if you want to sell them to a dealer you can only get store credit!! And, if as in my case, the collection is 90% classical, it seems they will be impossible to unload. Since CDs are antiques these days, I can’t imagine ANYONE who would want them. The only alternative I can see is the garbage. When you consider just how much of an investment they were it’s indeed a sobering realization.
Records are indeed “in,” but how desirable are classical LP’s?

Any suggestions?

128x128rvpiano

@rvpiano 

Great thread, thanks.

I originally planned to rip then store my CDs (because of copywrite infringement), but:

1. I’m trying to declutter, ran out of room
  2. When I pass, hopefully in the far future, the CDs will go out into the world anyway after liquidating my stuff

So I’m now inclined to get rid of them after ripping.

Next - what to do with my many video DVDs, BluRay, and some VHS as the trend seems to be streaming 

Please consider ripping your cd's before selling or giving them away. By using flac or another lossless codec you can keep a collection that would take up many shelves or boxes in an external hd that's the size of a pack of cigarettes for future enjoyment.

Ripping cd's is somewhat time consuming, but there are many programs available to help rip and catalog the files, and many ways to playback and enjoy the music for years to come.

Hi RVPIANO. I have a very large cd collection which I am always adding to for the right material. I am very partial to Classical works and would be very interested to purchase your collection once I've had a look at it.. I live in CT so we are close enough for me to shoot by and meet. Let me know if you have any interest. You can email me at robertboucher@charter.net. Bob

I sold my CDs in bulk to Dclutter.com, but they were rock. Not sure about their ability to take classical, but it's worth a shot. 

Keep in mind that LPs can be shipped media mail. I actually sold my remaining 50 LPs to someone on this forum and shipped them for about $20.