What's the greatest bargain in SET these days?

Hi, Gang,
I response to my recent review of the Reference 3A De Capo BE speaker, someone wrote that if you really want to hear them sing, you should try them with a SET amp, or words to that effect.
That got me thinking. The De Capo's are 92 db efficient, which (correct me if I'm wrong) seems kind of borderline for low-power SET amps.
In any event, right now I'm running mine with a pair of Manley Mahi mono-blocks. They are switchable from triode (20 watts) to "ultra linear" (40 watts). I run them in triode all the time, and in my room, the volume knob almost never goes past 9 o'clock; more would just be too loud.
All that said, what do you guys think of running the De Capo's with a SET amp? And if I did, what's the best bargain in SET's these days?
Thanks!
rebbi
Hello Tim,
Thanks for chiming in on this thread. I agree with all of what you said about the Primaluna. But like you did, the Primaluna is going to help fund a Coincident 300B and a Coincident (CSL) 101 tube preamp for me, as well as new speakers, one of Coincident, Devore, Line Magnetic 755 field coil, Daedalus, something like that. The money from the Primaluna might go for some tubes or wires. It won't stretch very far. The Dynamo 34se will stay in my office system. It makes me very happy.

Again, really glad to read your further thoughts. Other writers for Internet and audio mags often enough chime in on the A'gon. Your review on the Dynamo was really thorough thanks much.
Thanks Charles and Mikirob, for your nice comments. I worked hard on that review!

Yes, I own that Cobb/Malone/Hargrove SACD. I love the way it captures Hargrove's soaring trumpet solos. Same goes for another Chesky release, "Cobb's Corners."

I have found that the Dynamo works wonderfully with a Marantz SA8003 SACD player, even with lesser speakers like Mordaunt Short Carnival 2s (they ain't Harbeth but they are excellent for the price). I use that player in my living room set up with the Dynamo now that I have added a Marantz SA-15s2 Limited Edition to my main mancave rig.

As for the Line Magnetic amp, my jaw dropped when I first heard jazz guitar on it. It is a great amp with numerous tube rolling options. I am using some Psvane 12ax7s (the best quality ones) and some NOS (they were when purchased) Philips Miniwatts. The amp sounds as good as it looks. It is very receptive to tube rolling.

One additional thing about the Dynamo: like others who have posted, I found that the addition of a better rectifier was really the only must-do. I chose a new production Genalex Gold Lion 5AR4. The Mullard is virtually the same tube from the same factory, I believe, and it works well too. I bought both.

cheers, tim
Thank you for this, Tim.
I also appreciated your analysis of the pros and cons of the Coincident vs. the Declare amps vis a vis aesthetics and flexibility.
I think I could live with having to plug and unplug my DAC and phono preamp to switch from LP's to digital if I go wit the Coincident amp. Most of my listening these days is digital, anyway.
I'm still dithering on this but my first step will be to see what I can get for my Manley gear. I unfortunately can't afford to lay out any cash without selling the Manley stuff first, so I won't have a chance to a/b the two. But I feel pretty confident at this point that either the Decware or the Coincident will be a step up from my Manley gear.
I'll keep you guys posted! :-)
Hi Rebbi,
It was definitely worth your time to create this thread given the feedback you've received.