What's the best sounding dome tweeter available?

I'm thinking of trying the DIY route for a pair of full-range speakers. In your opinion, what is the BEST dome tweeter available and the best place to buy it?
Thanks and happy listening!
myraj
Hello,
My opinion is that you have to make a desicion on what type of speaker you are going to design. High spl, or simple 6db phase coherent, or a simple two way, the more speakers the more hassle in cabnet and crossover, plus trying to match the voicing of the drivers, kevlar, carbon fiber (notch filters up the wazzoo),aerogel, paper. I have been around a few home brews and I have some opinions. I think for High spl and wide sound stage you cannot beat the Focal ti-120tdx5 it's about $79,
however it has to be crossed over rather high and steep, at least 12db at 3500 (maybe 3000). Dynaudio makes great stuff but I don't think they sell to the public anymore. The morel MDT33 is nice but I am not in love with it. Ribbon tweeters can be amazing but integrating them with the midrange can be interesting especially in a two way design they are so fast and the midbass driver is usually pushed to extremes due to low frequency reproduction. I don't know, but take your time and research, research, research.
I am going to cause mass chaos now... have you ever considered a full range driver like the fostex Fe208sigma with a high spl 15" woofer covering maybe 50-500hz. There are some nice fulls on the market today.

Good Luck
Jeff
There is one dome tweeter in this world that is completly over the top. It is the new Professional line Vifa Ring radiator with a housing machined from solid aluminum and triple tetraheron rear absorption chambers, manufactured with the best materials that Vifa could think of, and manufactured to the tightest tolerances that make their other top tweeters look like a joke.

With the above in mind, I THINK THAT THIS IS CURRENTLY THE BEST DOME TWEETER IN THE WORLD. It is built to such exacting standards that Vifa rejected virtually the entire first production run because of slight variences that they were trying to perfect.

It was recently tested by a speaker designer in europe and he declared it the fastest least colored tweeter he had ever heard (AND HE'S TRIED EVERYTHING!), and he said it was the first dome tweeter that had the speed of a ribbon, but with much better dispersion and dampening charactaristics i.e. the best of BOTH designs!

Now here's the kicker, the retail cost for these unique professional Vifa ring radiators are $1000.00 for a pair. For this price, it better be the best!
The Esotar tweeter is my favorite. The kicker is that they are $1000.00 each. I ahve them in my Extremas and there is nothing like them.
Dynaudio is not selling raw drivers to the public anymore, but if you can find a pair of Esotars floating around somewhere, buy them. If not, or if you're concerned about replacement ability, Scan Speak is the next best choice.
That VIFA RING radiator tweeter really sounds awesome..seems to qualify as a top 21st century driver...i may have to eventually get a pr...put that with the scanspeak 10 inch woofer. or the focal 11WX..WOW!!!