What's the Best LP You Bought in 2008

For purposes of holiday "Wish List" building, with BOTH excellent music and excellent sonics as criteria, what is the best LP you've bought this year?

For me, it's Shelby Lynne - Just a Little Lovin'

Cheers,
Spencer
128x128sbank
ditto
Shelby Lynne,Hugh Maskela and Jennifer Warnes...two of my best lps for 2008 - Muddy Waters "Folk Singer" and Buddy Guy, Junior Wells "Drinkin TNT and Smokin Dynamite". It also features Bill Wyman and real guitar magic.
Cheers
Raul,
Tsai Chin is a "gOLDen" girl. Another singer you might want to have a listen to is Teresa Teng. Some of her earlier pressings go for hundreds of dollars on ebay. She has passed on ... :(
Ken
Lou Reed/ John Cale : Songs for Drella reissue from orig mastertapes 180 Gm vinyl just puts my skin out of there... beautiful...
Jack Johnson, all four of his albums after hearing him on Pandora radio. One of the albums is noisey though, kind of disappointing.

Cat Power You Are Free is also very good, but this is the other new album that I bought that was noisey.
Based on the recommendation here and the Hoffman forum I bought the drive by truckers "brighter than creation's dark" and agree that the sonics are great. Record is not my thing though but can see the craftmanship

The hendrix axis bold as love mono 200 grams I found was my pic
For the year

By the way, anyone want mint double lp drive by truckers for $20 with $3 shipping lemme know
Jloveys

Agreed Songs for Drella is a beautiful album, did you know it was Lou and John's first collaboration in many years? Sadly they were brought together by the death of Andy Warhol...

btw how does it sound on vinyl? Which edition do you have?

thanks

Phil
Phil: it is a Sire Records German pressing 180 gm. reissue from original mastertapes. Sounds wonderful. I am a Velvet fan !
Best music will depend on the mood, so I chose on the basis of most amazing sonics:

James Leary, "James" (Fonè 006, 4x 45rpm one-sided 180gr), producer/engineer David Manley

music from Gershwin to Shorter, performed with virtuosity on ... 5 double basses (+ piano + drums)

http://www.fone.it/shop/shop.php?action=mostraScheda&cID=1&pID=13
Kings Of Leon "Only by the Night" best new rock album I have bought in a long, long time. I want that new The Answer album because of all the good word of mouth here on Audiogon.
Since I must pick one! It's one of my favorite Jazz albums of all-time but now available in a 45 RPM reissued version.

Music Matters' Blue Note reissue: Us Three, Horace Parlan Trio

Music Matters MMBST-84037
Blue Note: 509995-20291-1-0

enjoy!
I second the Us Three/ Horace Parlan / MM 45 : wonderful, also is your system, Gerrym5 !!!
Tigerwoodskhorns (interesting)

Jack Johnson, all four of his albums after hearing him on Pandora radio. One of the albums is noisey though, kind of disappointing

I am also a fan of JJ and find his albums sound exceptional. Which album were you displeased with? I felt that "Sleep through the static" was pretty good but the 4 sides of the albums were only half filled resulting in flipping sides every 12 mins instead of 20. They do sound great though.

Excuse the hijack..
Jloveys, thanks! Your system is pretty special. You took some really great pics, especially the angled shot on your TNT TT set up. Nice job!

Here's a unique soundtrack LP I considered to make it my top pick, but didn't:
CITY OF GOD, Original Music by Antonio and Ed Cortez
www.millanrecords.com

The music is street 1970's Brazilian with Brazilian takes on American hits. Most songs have driving beats, horns, drums with great rhythm. It's not Bosa Nova at all. The score fits the movie moods perfectly, but its great music on its own. Enjoy. If you didn't see movie you don't have to enjoy this soundtrack.

BTW: The Movie is a killer movie - rent it
City Of God,
Great movie, good sound track.

My favorite purchase this year was the Analogue Production Blue Note 45 rpm re-issue of Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers- Moanin.
I have a well played Blue Note original I bought in the late 1970s.
I knew nothing of Art Blakey at that time while milling about in the Jazz section of a record store, I simply bought the Lp because of the looks of the front cover.

These 45 rpm Blue Note re-issues from Music Matters and Analogue Productions IMHO are "The" titles to collect and enjoy.
So far this year the LP that I keep going back to more than any other is the new Porcupine Tree, Fear of a Blank Planet. Their best album in over a decade.
Just bought new, unopened, Jarrett/Garbarek Belongings LP for $12 at a local vinyl shop. Same shop bough a new Return to Forever.

Freaking incredible vinyl, dead silent. I want to own every ECM LP ever.