What's my best upgrade options

Hello Audiogon forum,

I have an opportunity to upgrade something, but I'm unsure what the best option would be.  I just got a pair of Magico A5s, and they were a huge upgrade to my system.  I think what I'm looking for is more clarity, more crystal clear detail, maybe lower noise floor, if that makes sense.  I have an ARC Ref 150, PS audio BHK pre and stellar phono pre.  My sources are a Rega P3 with an older Ortofon MC 30 and a Cary audio CD500 cd player.  My cables are a mix of whatever I got from a dealer buying complete systems a long time ago, and some i've bought since.  I also have a surge protector I run everything thru, except the amp, I run it directly into the wall.

My options are a PS audio power conditioner, a rega P6 with newer ortofon MC cartridge, maybe a PS audio CD player or jay's audio CD player.  I could also get better speaker cable, and / or XLRs.

Thanks y'all.  1st post!

dothebluecolts

I think what I’m looking for is more clarity, more crystal clear detail, maybe lower noise floor, if that makes sense.

I have had problems with noise when using the higher gain XLR connections. I had to use an adapter and put a pad in the line. Went from too noisy to dead quiet.

Your table/cartridge are certainly the bottleneck in an otherwise stellar system. That's where you should start.

@dothebluecolts 

The best upgrade would be a new defensive coordinator.  The run defense lost the last game.  Second, can we remember Andrew Luck?  The same ending will likely happen with Richardson if he continues to run the ball. 

Whoops!  Sorry, we're talking about audio.  I agree that the TT is the weakest link.  I'm surprised no one has mentioned an updated dac, or maybe a transport and dac for playing cd's.  Streaming?  With those fabulous speakers, the sky is the limit.

Go Colts!

Absolutely your front end. I would give carefull consideration to the future of your system. The future is streaming the past is vinyl and CD. Concentration of your money into one approach will get you the farthest most quickly.

The strengths of your system is your speakers and amp… and maybe the preamp.

So with that in mind, you could set yourself up for future upgrades by getting a really good DAC. Something in the $5 - $10K new… used, bringing the cost down. Then use your CD player as a transport. Then as soon as you are able to recover a really good streamer (Aurrender) Then you are set for the future and you’ll have a 10 million+ album collection for $14.99 / month (Qobuz).

Is vinyl your primary source? Will it remain your primary source?  If so, the consensus suggestion here is correct in my opinion.  Your turntable rig needs a meaningful upgrade that is not a Rega product, especially if you have a ton of records that you (like me) are actually going to play. Spend the money now, and take comfort in knowing that great turntable/arm combinations will outlast us both.

Good luck 👍