What Does It Take To Surpass A SME V?

Thinking about the possibility of searching for a new tonearm. The table is a SOTA Cosmos Eclipse. Cartridge currently in use is a Transfiguration Audio Proteus, and it also looks like I will also have an Ortofon Verismo if a diamond replacement occurs without incident. 

The V is an early generation one but in good condition with no issues. Some folks never thought highly of the arm, others thought it quite capable. So it's a bit decisive. 

The replacement has to be 9 to 10.5 inches. I have wondered if Origin Live is worth exploring? Perhaps a generation old Triplanar from the pre owned market?

Any thoughts on what are viable choices? 

neonknight

Dear @peterayer  :  " There are measurements and there is listening.  People choose what sounds right to them.  "

I posted several times that when an audiophile says: " that's what I like it " then the dialogue is just ended because what we like is untouchable subjectivity and useless argue against it.

I gave you some 3012R characteristics that goes against the sounds reproduction og the LP recorded grooves not matters what.

Well, certainly for you it does not matters and difference with me is that those characteristics that goes against the quality reproduction levels tells me is not a good choice to achieve my MUSIOC/SOUND target that's stay truer/nearer to the recording. My common sense is what analizing subjectivity/objectivity takes the rigth choose according my end target.

You can't prove with subjectivity alonethat you are rigth even f  you are rigth that you are notttttttsing the 3012R.

That's what you like and is clear for me but   issue is not that.

In the other side your room/system speaks for your subjectivity or maybe the " objectivity "/$ of the ones that just  made with your system a change of 180°  when you pass from SS to tubes electronics, from dynamic/moving coil speakers to vintage horns, from SME TT to that way heavy weigth metal TT and so on. Nothing wrong with that because ws and is your choice privilege as for any one of us.

I think that a mix of subjectivity/obejectivity is a very good path for any audiophile, certainly not for you and its fine with me.

Anyway, continue your MUSIC enjoyment as I and other audiophiles like to do because the name of the game is " MUSIC enjoyment no matters what.

R.

@peterayer  . I think that could be a good idea to make a test in your room/system and this test is to listen the Rega RP-10 ( truly inexpensive for you at around 5.5K. ) with your today cartridges and find out which kind of differences you beeen aware vs your analog rig in use.

After the test you can put on sale and will goes fast or maybe you decide to keep it. A the end is just a subjective test as you like.

R.

Raul, I have arrived at the music listening experience I want.   Thank you for your advice.   I was simply suggesting that the original poster try the vintage SME tonearm. They are easily available on the used market at about half the cost of an SME V.   I happen to prefer the vintage arm and he might also.   

@pindac Are your standalone tonearm pods from Acoustand? I have a couple on order and should have them, finally, in a couple of weeks.

@dogberry , stand alone tonearm pods are a disaster in progress. The relationship of the tonearm to the platter has to be infinitely stiff and non resonant. Stand alone tonearm pods do not meet that requirement or even come reasonably close.