Weiss 501 upgrade to 4ch

Has anyone upgraded their 501/502 to the new 4 channel version. If so, have you heard any improvements for 2 ch listening?

w123ale

Yes.  I did upgrade.  Not for the 4 channel part, but for the upgraded chip and upgrade of the analogue section.  Installed by Tom at Big Ear Stereo who liked the upgrades from a technical point and correctly predicted improvement.

I hear improvements in definition and dynamics.  Not outrageous improvement, but palpable.  I do not know if it would be discernable if not for a high threshold of a system.  Hope that helps.

@celtic66 Thanks for that. There is only one upgrade and that includes the "4 channel part". I don't like the name because it's confusing and you still end up with stereo outputs. What they are referring to are additional internal DAC chips. So you have it all.

I've heard the same from others with the "4 channel" version; not a huge improvement but definitely audible.

They should have just called it the 501/502 mk2 instead of this 2ch-4ch business. Too confusing.

The Weiss 501 @ $10,000 is not a great value. The DEQX Pre 8, an 8 channel unit that will retail for $13,000, does everything the 501 does and a lot more. It has a 4 way crossover, speaker and room control and a phono input. It is also better constructed.  

Well, you know the Swiss.  Four official languages in a country slightly larger than Maryland, so they don’t like simple.  Postcard land with funny cheeses.

Love my upgraded 501 and I’m the only one needing that satisfaction.  Not looking, just enjoying.  They got it right.