Weiss 501 DAC

Anyone running the Weiss 501 as preamp/DAC straight into a power amp or active speakers? How does it sound? Thanks
celtic66

Showing 1 response by sns

Cost/benefit valuations certainly subjective. I don't need to repeat all the various objections to Chinese products, but it should be mentioned that nearly every single electronic product has Chinese origins in some measure. I'm not going to advocate any perspective is superior to another in this matter. I will say one could likely find a thousand possible reasons to hold biases against products from any number of countries,and from particular dealers, distributors, manufacturers, I certainly observe these biases in play on various forums.

Utility has always been important to me in any and all purchases of all kinds of products. Different business models are perceived as more or less utilitarian by consumers. Some find utility in having local dealer carrying product, in which case distributor/dealer business model perceived superior. Others may prefer all or nearly all utility to be found in the product itself, are willing to face possible warranty, shipping, etc. issues.

The question is can equipment at various price points compete in same league? I don't see enough direct comparative reviews to answer this with assurance. Rarely do I see professional reviews doing this, and consumer reviews bring much bias, and often excessive variables. The professional reviewer looses credibility with relatively lower cost equipment as their reference, and the consumer usually  has bias for equipment they've purchased, no matter the price. Perceptions the high priced spread has to sound great based solely on price, the relatively lower priced a giant killer.