Was 1971 the high point of popular music?

All these albums were released in 1971.

"Imagine" by John Lennon

"Sticky Fingers" by Rolling Stones

"Blue" by Joni Mitchell

"Meddle" by Pink Floyd

"There's a Riot Going On" by Sly & The Family Stone

"Fragile" by Yes

"The Yes Album" by Yes

"Killer" by Alice Cooper

"Ram" by Paul McCartney

"Live at the Filmore East" by Allman Bros. Band

"Who's Next" by The Who

"What's Going On" by Marvin Gaye

"Hunky Dory" by David Bowie

"Aqualung" by Jethro Tull

"Master of Reality" by Black Sabbath

"Songs of Love and Hate" by Leonard Cohen

"Shaft" by Isaac Hayes

"Every Picture Tells a Story" by Rod Stewart

"Madman Across The Water" by Elton John

"LA Woman" by The Doors

"Led Zeppelin IV" by Led Zeppelin

"Tapestry" by Carole King

"Pearl" by Janis Joplin

"Live-Evil" by Miles Davis

" Journey in Satchidananda" by Alice Coltrane

"Teaser and teh Firecat" by Cat Stevens

"Deuce" by Rory Gallagher

"Santana III" by Santana

"Weather Report" by Weather Report

"Tupelo Honey" by Van Morrison

"Surfs Up" by The Beach Boys

"John Prine" by John Prine

"Wild Life" by Wings

"Where I'm Coming From" by Stevie Wonder

128x128tony1954

Showing 3 responses by waytoomuchstuff

@roxy54

For a brief period of time, all the stars lined up and we were gifted some of the best examples of "popular" music in history. 1971 could represent the pinnacle of a concentration of talent and genuius that our great, great grandchildren will be singing, playing, or just chillin’ out to. (our whatever they’re going to cal it in 2093).

Garage bands were a "thing" back in the day. We matured (truly a subjective term) from riding bikes, fishing, playing baseball, and spending time with our parents to whatever creative element was available at the time -- playing music. Our generation was not distracted by "bits" or "bytes", cable news, social media, or video gaming. They just casually got together and spent h-o-u-r-s defining, and redefining, their craft. Then, a few Battle(s) of the Bands and Sock Hops later, they realized this hobby was a passion backed up by real talent all around them and within them. "Gigs" and local concerts evolved into real musical events and recording contracts. Then, fame. Followed by wealth. More productivity. And, more fame.

It wasn’t just the epic performances, break out talent and creativity that ear marked (literally) this era. IMHO, it was the shear magitude of GREAT bands that produced GREAT music during this period. This period is unique in history. We’ll never be presented with the opportunity to have this massive number of individuals brfeak away from other activities and assign a time period to be actively engaged in the production of popular music.

Whlle I love the complexity of classical pieces, I’m a sucker for a good melody. If that melody includes poetic genius, carefully contructed musical accompaniment, innovation, and a memorable cadence and rhythm, I’m in musical heaven. And, back in 1971.

Some of you have made a good point that our personal musical peak is related to our age. Breakthrough performances that align with OUR time, and OUR culture can be quite powerful. Thus, devaluated or dismissed when part of someone else’s (our parent’s?) culture.

@roxy54 

My reference to "a brief moment in time" was intended to be a little broader than 1971 -- perhaps a 20 year period (+/-) from the fifties to the early seventies. I am in agreement with you that some of the pioneers of popular music had produced their greatest works and did, in fact, hit the exit button (or, died) before 1971. My premise is that there was a unique time in history when a massive quantity of participants in the art of making music could devote nearly 100% of the brain power into the production of such. Thus, the suberb examples you listed for 1971 ... and before.