Warm, yet detailed tube preamp

Looking for a warm but yet detailed preamp to upgrade my Rouge RP1 (with NOS tubes). Rest of system is Coincident Frankenstein 300B Mk2, Zu Audio Omen Def Supreme, digital front end with PS Audio AirStream and DirectStream Sr (modified with external power supply for the analog side and different output transformers). The Rouge is a very good preamp (especially for the money), but it does definitely hold the system back at this point. I would like to add a bit more warmth of the overall sound and also add depth to the soundstage (without losing details). And I do want a remote... if nothing else, volume and mute.

Willing to spend about $5k used (or so).

128x128audiojan

@kennyc the Coincident preamps don’t come with a remote. I frequently adjust volume based on the track so this is something I’m not willing to compromise on

I really enjoyed the Cary Slp-98 but my fave yet is the Luxman 38uc… i dont know how else to describe it other than it brought the soul and emotion out of everything I listened to.

@snapoli2 interesting you mention the Luxman. I just spoke to my local dealer (whom I really trust, have done business with him for well over 20 years) and that's exactly what he recommended

May borrow one from him after the long weekend and listen

Audiojan,

I went through this same exercise back a the beginning of this year, and listened to some great preamps. You're wanting to keep the cost down to about $5,000 will knock out a couple of great options: BAT VK-80, and the Backert Labs Rhumba Extreme (not the base Rhumba....it won't compete). In the end I chose the Aric Audio Motherlode XL as I wanted the XLR connections, but if I didn't then I would have ordered the non XL version. Several months after my purchase, I am still extremely happy with the Aric Audio preamp and would do it again.

If you're looking for a "little warmth", I'd suggest a 6SN7 based preamp personally. I'd look at the already mentioned: Aric Audio, Supratek, and the Don Sachas/Lynn Olson Raven preamp. I'd highly suggest you reach out to Aric Kimball (Aric Audio), Don Sachs (Raven preamp, sold by Spatial Audio), and Mick Maloney (Supratek) to have a conversation. Aric Audio and Supratek make a bunch of preamps, they could lead you in the right direction on their products.

For transparency, I own an Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp.....and Aric certainly can customize his preamps, and he has adjustable gain controls.