Volume levels

I don’t know if it’s just me, but I find that I have to boost the volume levels more when I play records softly than when I listen to digital softly. I find that at low levels, records do not equal the intensity that low levels on digital do even if they emit the same number of decibels. I find that I’m forced to listen to analog more loudly to achieve the same measure of SQ.

How about you?

128x128rvpiano

I know digital output is generally higher than analog.  My point is that AT THE SAME VOLUME LEVEL I hear more detail in digital. And, at least on my analog system I get virtually no external noise, usually as quiet as digital.  
 I do acknowledge however that digital does have the potential for greater dynamic range.

That is an interesting question. I tend to listen to vinyl in the evenings. If I am spinning records then I am really LISTENING. I use digital sources in the morning, while working out, while doing work. I think the effort of records encourages me to pay more attention. I also notice that the same volume with my morning coffee and my evening cocktail are not equal. In the morning before my ears have been assaulted with the cacophony of everyday life, I find lower volumes sound great. Once I arrive home from work at 7pm I listen to the same music louder to get the same satisfaction from the same tracks. I am not sure if ears get fatigued and this is scientific. It may be in my head but it is a reality for me at least.

I don't experience a need for higher decibels on vinyl than digital. As long as either is played between 70 and 75 db, they sounds equally grand. 

I am in complete agreement here. The best way to enjoy digital sources is to turn the volume down as low as possible.