Vintage DD turntables. Are we living dangerously?

I have just acquired a 32 year old JVC/Victor TT-101 DD turntable after having its lesser brother, the TT-81 for the last year.
TT-101
This is one of the great DD designs made at a time when the giant Japanese electronics companies like Technics, Denon, JVC/Victor and Pioneer could pour millions of dollars into 'flagship' models to 'enhance' their lower range models which often sold in the millions.
Because of their complexity however.......if they malfunction.....parts are 'unobtanium'....and they often cannot be repaired.
128x128halcro
Ok, my Technics SP20 has arrived, it works fine and looks great (like new) with Saec SS-300 mat. For this deck i'd like to design a custom wooden plinth. Since the local currency is weak for a long time, i hope i can find local craftmans to save some cash. Anyway it's a second system. 

I really like the simplicity of my teak plinth for main SP10mk2 i use for a while, so new plinth would be the same shape with minor changes. For SP20 i'm gonna use my spare Schick "12 before i will buy something else. 

Need advice on materials. I believe panzerholz is not available in my area. But plenty of Baltic birch arround :))  Which material should i look for the best quality (for my plinth) ? 
chakster
Which material should i look for the best quality (for my plinth) ?

As noted Panzerholz is hit and miss regarding availability, another option to Baltic birch is Bamboo ply which is dense and relatively heavy.
If you have cabinet shops local, check to see if you can purchase some and or have them cut it up if they are so inclined. 
Some tips for those who should understand, even if you didn’t know.
Quartz control is great but, isn’t the only technology, as it all came from good roots of this planet. There’s so much more to know.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/technics-sl-1100-opinion.574870/page-3

The dumbing-down of this country’s too young to know audio history on this site could be very damning to us all!
Don’t forget, we put a man on the moon in 1969, almost 50 years ago.
Where were you at that moment in summer of July 1969?
I had already built my first ’PAS-3X’ "Dynakit" pre-amp 2 years before that moment.

Please don’t over-look that quartz/sand is a mineral born from the earth and when hit with a tiny voltage, it vibrates, perhaps more than your girl is using to compensate for your lack of understanding of things?

P.S. Please don't get me wrong here, I still use early/vintage Technics, pre-quartz.
The original SP-10 uses for all intents the same motor the SL-120Mk1 does!
The whole line was servo-controlled, consequently, yes quartz controlled is better, however generally, the whole line stayed the same, except for the quart control circuitry.
Lewm,

Guess I got a Super Deal on SP10MK3, it was however in pretty rough cosmetic condition, and of course all the electronics needed upgrading as well - and I do agree with you its a magnificent table.

Good Listening

Peter
Frank,
What’s your point?
The weekend that men landed on the moon, in 1969, my then wife and I were on the way to Martha’s Vineyard for a vacation. We had stopped in New Haven to visit my grandmother, and my wife would not leave until she could find a copy of that Sunday’s NYT: "Men Walk On Moon", it said. I was already an audiophile at that time, albeit with very little money to spend. I already knew then that I did not care for the Dyna PAS3X preamplifier.
Quartz resonates at a constant frequency. So, what is your point? Other crystalline materials could have been chosen by audio engineers, but quartz was chosen instead. By the way, quartz referencing did not come into the turntable world for a few more years after 1969.  Note that in the thread you cite, the ad for Technics talks about the original SP10 and the SL1100 and 1200.  The turntables in that ad did not use a quartz reference; that came along later with the SP10 Mk2, etc.  So, again, WTF?