Vandersteens-- Removing M5-HPs for a Digital Xover?

Hi. Quick survey of people that have removed the M5-HP when using a processor/preamp that can do the Xover internally and how much of a sonic difference there was. I guess there is just something comforting about having the physical Xover in-line when the manual (I have Quatros) talks of all the driver damage that will occur if they are used without a Xover. I just upgraded my pre/pro to a Theta Casablanca that can do it internally. I would assume that there would be some kind of difference due to eliminating the parts inside the M5 and the electric change of having dissimilar metals between my interconnects and the pigtails of the M5s. I know that hearing it is the only proof but wanted to see others’ opinions. Thanks.

jwseitz

Nice stack of gear, and I don’t even know what else is in it.
It is odd running Vandys in a surround system. There are at least 2 of us, but my speakers and amps are not at your level and I have Lyngdorf rather than a Theta… But I think the concept is the same..

I would probably tell the pre processor it cuts off at 40, 60, 80 (I dunno, just dick around with it)… And then it will boost whatever is too low up, and you will not hear anything wrong at the frequencies which we are not overly sensitive to.

But I have not completed my set up.
Alternatively there is Vandy forum.

Nice stack of gear, and I don’t even know what else is in it.
It is odd running Vandys in a surround system. There are at least 2 of us, but my speakers and amps are not at your level and I have Lyngdorf rather than a Theta… But I think the concept is the same..

I would probably tell the pre processor it cuts off at 40, 60, 80 (I dunno, just dick around with it)… And then it will boost whatever is too low up, and you will not hear anything wrong at the frequencies which we are not overly sensitive to.

But I have not completed my set up.
Alternatively there is Vandy forum.

@holmz 

Thank you.  I'm always tweaking, but getting the Quatros was a milestone when I got them.  They were my price/performance bullseye for "forever" speakers, and I had owned 1Cs and then 2Ce Sigs before getting a really good deal on them from here.  Then they had to go and add a CT version (sigh), but that's another story--ha.  They are fantastic, though.

Vandersteens actually make really great surround systems due to their spaciousness.  You can honestly just run movies two-channel, and they sound great.  Also, their surrounds (VSMs) are made to be wall-mounted and look very sleek when done so.

To your comment about the Xover frequency, though, it HAS to be correct on any subs or else it will damage them.  Just so you don't ever do that if you get some.  Other passive models can be toyed with, sure.

To the OP - just nail the crossover point specified in the Quattro manual. No matter what filter you pick ( first order, Butterworth, etc ) the -3db point need be accurate. Let us know what you think, pls do post those findings on the Vandy owners forum. This is a case with care, experiment is good. Best to you and BTW the older Quattro is a formidable beast.  iF you are really concerned about dissimilar cables, have your HP filters converted to your wire.

Jim

If it was me, I'd do it in the theta.  Just make sure you adhere to the original slope which I believe is 6 db/Octave or you'll change the phase relationships of the upper and lower sections.

With this particular speaker, don't try to get fancy in the digital crossover.   Just stick to the intention, which I believe is 6 db/octave high pass and full range to the lower portion.