Vandersteen & Denon AVR-X4700H

Just wondering is the Denon is a good music match for the Vandersteen 2ce Sis II's?

128x128vcartier77

I have the X4700H that I use for HT duty only. I have tried its music capabilities.

The speaker I used in these test session was more efficient (90 db) and a more linear load (8 Ohm with minimal dips in impedance) than the Vandys you have.

Technically, the Denon will drive your speakers. I believe they are 7 ohms nominal. 4 ohms minimum. 86db with 2.83 volts at 1 meter on axis. But not the easiest of loads for the Denon. It really depends on what your goals are with this setup. Not sure if you still have the Ayre setup. I run all tube pre and amp for 2CH. Not a fare comparison. Todays receivers are optimized for movies not music. And yet they are marketed as the do everything in one box solution. Sort of a Swiss Army knife with every blade imaginable. Even has a saw blade to cut wood. Imagine trying to cut a log with said blade. Perhaps not the best tool for the job. But that knife does some things really well... Give it a try and let us know how it compares to your 2CH amp.

Driving Vandys (or any good speaker) with a mass market AVR is an insult and self defeating. If you need the AVR in there for processing and driving center and surround speakers get a decent stereo integrated amp (preferably with an HT bypass input) and hook the front L/R preouts from the Denon into the integrated. Your Vandys will reward you greatly for it and not hate you for driving them with a lowly AVR. Ugh.

You can probably drive the 2's, but there are much better options. For one, using a zero feedback amp will make them sing.

As a Vandy owner, you can join the Vandersteen forum and get the best info.

It is located on the Vandy website.

Bob

Thanks...many of you know my Denon as a pre-amp situation with the Vandy's that are driven through an Ayre integrated amp.  I also have the Denon for my HT, with PSB's stratus bookshelves as my main fronts.  I watched the Letters to You Video with a friend and it sounded great.  when I played the actual album, on vinyl, it sounded good, but didn't seem to have the bass that the Denon seemed to have.  I can't run the subs witht the Ayre.  I did try using the Denon as a pre-amp and results were inconsistant.  like many audiophiles, we are searching for the best sound possible.  

Please tell me you’re using the front L/R preouts from the Denon into the Ayre and not just using the Ayre as an amp and bypassing its vastly superior preamp section. 🤞🤞🤞

Vince

You can simply have the Vandersteen hi pass installed inside the Ayre

this lowers your speaker's modulation distortion and removes the Ayres heavy lifting in the bass then we install the Vandersteen Sub 3s to perform custom in-room compensation which dramatically improves the whole system's clarity and transparency. buzz me at the shop

We ran that system at a Stereophile show and Fremer said it was one of the best 5 rooms he heard.

JohnnyR

Vandersteen dealer